1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP installation hangs at desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cvoptimus, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

I decided to install a new Western Digital 80G harddrive (supposed to be fast) and do a clean installation of Windows XP Pro. Everything seemed to go smoothly until I installed Service Pack 1. The installation was successful and there were no errors but instead of opening windows at the boot, the program opens to the desktop and mouse but nothing else happens.

The mouse is responsive. The program opens fine in safe mode and there I am able to verify that SP1 installed succesfully.
    But there is apparently nothing I can to to get the program to open normally after this. Again, no errors, just hangs at the desktop.

There is apparently no way to correct this. I succesfully rolled back the installation of SP1 with System Restore in safe mode. (As I can always get into safe mode, I can verify the success of any subsequent changes) But no change effects the outcome: the program still hangs at the desktop.

The only way to correct this is to wipe the drive clean and start all over. I've done this 3 times in as many days...so it isnt just some freak event. I've tried installing fewer and fewer programs and drivers before doing SP1.

By switching back to the old harddrive, I am able to start Windows normally ( with SP1 and all the same devices and drivers).
    Can anybody offer me any clue as to what might be happening?

The only thing that is apparent is that - in safe mode the new sign on screen appears...but when the problem exists only the old (pre-SP1) sign-on screen appears ( before it opens to just the desktop )

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice