1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP installation not recognised

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ts5745, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ts5745

ts5745 Thread Starter

Hey,
    I recently bought a new hard drive because my old one was playing up. I installed xp on my new one, and after a few teething problems i got it up and running and transferred all my files and installed the programs i wanted. Whenever i started the computer, i got a message saying that two operating systems had been found, and i could choose to load either my old or new one. I wanted to format my old drive so that i could use it for storage (it wasnt dead, just slow). It didnt let me do that on windows for whatever reason, so i looked it up on the net and someone said to load up from the xp boot cd and delete the partition from there. I did this, but after that it didnt recognise the windows installation on my new hard drive. So all i could think of doing was to reinstall windows on my old one, which i have done. I know the data on my new hard drive is all there, as i can access it via my computer. my new hard drive is a SATA, and i read about problems with this, indeed i had to load some drivers from a floppy to get it to work in the first place. also i heard about having a master disk drive or something, but in BIOS i couldnt figure out how to change it to make my new hard drive the master.
    So basically, i was wondering what can i do to be able to load windows from my new hard drive, and once i suceed at that, how can i safely format my old one so i can use it for storage?
    Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

First, copy boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com from the old to the new, and then remove the old drive so it does not interfere with the process of making the new one bootable. Check BIOS, too, to see if the boot drive is designated. Check boot order and see if the SATA can be designated as prior to the old drive.

Then, boot from the XP CD and press "R" for the Recovery Console. Load your SATA driver as before.

Then run fixboot, fixmbr, and bootconfig /rebuild on the new drive. When you get it bootable, connect the old drive and delete the partition.

(By the way, only an IDE drive can be "master". That only refers to its connection on a cable and not which drive is the "system" drive.)

3. ts5745

ts5745 Thread Starter

thankyou, but I dont understand how to copy the files across, i have the hidden files displayed option on but i cant see them.
    Also, is it possible to put my SATA driver on a usb flash disk rather then a floppy, because i dont have a floppy disk drive? (the one i used last time was at home, but i am at uni now)

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

See if they are already on the other drive.

5. ts5745

ts5745 Thread Starter

no they werent, i copied them across and i found a floppy drive i could use. I did everything you said, and when i got onto the recovery console it found my new drive but when i put in the commands i dont think it worked. after i put in fixboot it said unable to carry it out or something, when i typed fixmbr it said that if i continued it might delete everything on my hard drive, so i didnt continue. and when i put in bootconfig/rebuild it said command not recognised. do you know what i am doing wrong? should i transfer the other system files that are in the root of my old drive along with boot.ini etc?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

bootconfig(space)/rebuild

Did you load the driver as the Recovery Console was loading?

7. ts5745

ts5745 Thread Starter

well i pressed F6 as the windows cd was loading. the recovery console found the hard drive so it must have worked, as i had the other drive unplugged. i tried it again, and bootfix said something about system drive not found, i ran fixmbr ok but i dont think it made a difference, and bootconfig /rebuild didnt work because it said there were errors on the drive. I ran chkdsk /p because it told me to and that said there were one or more errors opn the drive but it didnt specify what they were. unfortunately the floppy drive i had has broken, a bunch of smoke came out of it as i was using it yesterday, but i should be able to get another one

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try chkdsk /r for a better check.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice