1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp installation problem - blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rmccloud, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rmccloud

rmccloud Thread Starter

Problem: attempted to install (I know, should have backed up and done complete install - mea culpa) upgrade from Win2K-XP Pro. Everything went well for most of the install, but had a couple of pop-ups I did not understand relating to missing files, specifically: viaide.sys, 2gmgsmt.sf2, ipsecw2K.sys, and a problem with missing Zio (smart card reader) files. I was given the option to go ahead on each of these popups and I did (after trying to locate the missing files). The machine rebooted two or three times, with success, and then after XP went through its registry process, it rebooted once again (after saying the install was complete). Lo and behold, the blue screen of death.
    I am almost positive this is XP ide drive related, since I can boot to DOS and see all the data on the drives. The problem is, I have no way to fix it that I can see. I was able to download a via XP IDE patch, but it can be run from windows only.
    Any tips?
    Here is the text of blue screen:
    A problem has been detected and windows had shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
    If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart computer and follow these steps (check for viruses, remove new hard drives, check hard drive configuration, run chkdsk, then restart.
    Technical info: STOP 0x0000007B (oxF7946640, oxC0000034, ox00000000, 0x00000000)

Tips? It won't start in any mode except for DOS.

Ross - direct email is OK since I check that via laptop

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Welcome to TSG!

The Stop 0x7B message indicates that Windows XP Professional has lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware typically causes stop 0x7B errors. Stop 0x7B errors could also indicate possible virus infection.

Check out: Stop 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE for the full details.

what you will need to basically do is get the VIA IDE drivers on floppy and when XP Setup starts, it will prompt you to press [F6] to load UATA or SCSI Drivers. you'll need to load the proper drivers for XP at that point and all should finish fine!

Good Luck!

ST

3. rmccloud

rmccloud Thread Starter

anyone else care to chime in on this? I've tried to do as told - push F6 when XP is trying to load, but that does nothing.

and since I can't go to windows it is impossible for me to try and set up xp again - unless there is another way for me to do it - suggestions welcome, please!!

Curiously - the system will boot into Win98 DOS (command prompt), and all my files are there in full view. Any other tips?
    I'm at a loss on how to load drivers that can't be installed except thru windows (if I can't load windows...)

Ross

4. jojomo

jojomo

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice