Xp Installation Problem.......help!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

imran522

I wanted to download windows xp pro but got an error message saying there was a fatal error. i then shut my pc and restarted it. When i switched my pc on i kept on being directed straight to the restart of the windows xp setup which in turn took me back to the fatal error message and not to the desktop.

i then contacted dell and was told to type in commands which did not work and finally was told to re-format the pc. so i installed windows ME again along with other files and drivers.

Now when i want to install xp i get a message saying that it will not install because there is more than one operating system on my pc. when i looked at the c drive i see a windows folder which was modified on the date i got the computer and another windows file with three zeros as the last digits which was modified when i re installed windows ME.
i am not sure what to do please help. i really want to download windows xp.

Max19

Account Disabled
Where did you try to download Windows XP from? I wasn't aware it was available for purchase via download.

You didn't follow the instructions and format, that's the only way you could end up where you are. The windows.000 is the reinstall you did, the windows is the original install

imran522

Thanks for your reply Max19 and BrianF. I installed the windows xp from cd. sorry i didnt make that clear in the first post.
so what should i do now delete the old windows or delete the reinstalled windows.
The problem is that if i keep the old windows then i feel i might get that fatal error message again. what would u suggest?

Max19

Account Disabled
You shouldn't just delete Windows. You need to format your hard drive. Wipe everything out. Then install Windows XP.

make sure you use f-disk before reinstalling ME. this will create a new partition and ensure you of all files being done with. dell told me that sometimes just c:/ format does not erase all files. then reinstall ME, drivers, then upgrade to XP.

C:/fdisk
this is the command.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online