1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp Installation- 'Verifying DMI pool data...' disk read error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xpsolutions?, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xpsolutions?

xpsolutions? Thread Starter

I have this Acer Aspire AST180-EA350M. I'm trying to install Windows Xp.
    Now going through the process... formatting and copying the files, the system does its normal reboot but does not continue with the Installation part but rather gives me a message of 'Verifying DMI Pool Data... ' disk read error occured press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
    It just does not do the installation to the end.
    What to do?

2. ANDI-R

ANDI-R

A. DMI or DesktopManagement Interface (pdf) is a layer of abstraction between system components and the software that manages them. The System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) is an extension of the Basic Input Output System (BIOS) that formulates and delivers this information to the operating system. The pool data is the information. In short, when the BIOS is "Verifying DMI pool data" it is verifying the table of data it sends to the operating system (Windows, etc.). If it isn't sucessful, it should return an error. Wait a reasonable period of time for it to finish. It may make take some time or it may be stuck. Possible fixes:
    1. If you changed the hardware just before this problem occurred (e.g., installed a new hard disk drive), unchange it.
    2. If you installed a new hard disk drive, set the motherboard CMOS Setup to Auto for the drive type. You may have to disconnect the drive first.
    3. Enable "Reset Configuration Data" (may be "Force Update ESCD" in some CMOS Setuups) in the motherboard CMOS Setup PNP/PCI configuration. (Rebooting will automatically disabled it after it has done its thing.)
    4. The CMOS may be corrupted. Clear it.
    5. Disconnect all drives not required to boot the computer. If this fixes it, reconnect one at time.
    6. The floppy drive may be bad or not connected properly.
    7. Reseat all expansion boards.
    8. Pull all boards not required to boot the computer.
    9. Check your order of boot devices. Simple mistake, I know. But some motherboards will hang instead of moving on to the next boot device.

10.I had a hangup on the "Verifying DMI Pool data" step in the boot sequence. I researched several sites, including yours and have one thing to add to what was on your site. I had inadvertently left a USB memory stick reader (With stick installed) connected to a USB port. That was causing the error. I unplugged the memory stick and the machine booted fine. Anyone receiving this error should be sure that they do not have a reader, camera, etc., connected to the computer

3. ANDI-R

ANDI-R

tray all these couses and let me know...........

4. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Andi-R,

This is the second post recently of yours where you do not give proper credit to the original author of the content you've posted, nor a link to the original article. Please correct this or we will have to remove the content as plagiarism.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Doesn't sound like this has anything to do with DMI, it's a disk read error.

Is there some reason you can't use the Recovery partition to restore the system (ALT+F10 during the Acer splash)?
    Are you installing onto a SATA hard drive? It's possible you may need to slipstream the SATA drivers.
    Most of the time when that's needed, XP Setup won't see the drive at all, but sometimes it will copy files, but is unable to properly read the disk when it reboots.
    The BIOS may have a setting to switch the SATA controller to ATA mode(vs AHCI), or IDE Compatible mode. If so, this might help.

The SATA drivers are in the Chipset download, in the IDE\WinXP\sata_ide folder. This covers several controllers; the specifications for the T180 model say it uses the MCP61 Chipset.

HTH

Jerry

6. xpsolutions?

xpsolutions? Thread Starter

Tried everything and nothing worked. Since the computer could not boot to anything at all no matter whats set on boot priority, except the blank screen with "Verify DMI Pool Data' message, Think needs a motherboard replacement.

7. step22

step22

same problem right now here... stucked at verifying dmi pool data

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/840380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice