XP Installation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

help steve

Hi,

Have built a new pc. Tried to install XP direct from boot but no luck. Win 2000 will install from boot. My XP disc appears to be ok and will show itself if i put it in another pc. So I then downloaded the XP boot discs from Microsoft and copied to 6 floppies. When booting, on floppy 3 I get pcmcia.sys is corrupt. So i did it all again. Same story. ditto. ditto.

What am i doing wrong.

What do I do ? Would there be any detrimental effects if i install win 2000 then upgrade to xp - or is a fresh xp install best. Thankyou

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Clean install is aways best. What is happening when you try to boot from the XP disk. Have you tried putting the disk in another machine to see if it will boot from the cd.

PCMCIA are those credit-card sized cards you insert into a notebook. If you're using a desktop, or a notebook without such a card, it is probably safe to ignore that the PCMCIA file is corrupt.

Try to Ignore/Skip the corrupt file and continue the XP installation

help steve

haven't got another machine to try to boot from but seems ok if i use it to start upgrade ! Also you connot skip pcmcia file it is "press any key to reboot"

help steve

nothing happens - it says failed to find suitable CD boot file on CD when i try to boot from XP CD

crjdriver

Is this a copied cd, or is it an orginal ms cd? If it is a real ms cd, just call ms and they will send you a replacement.

Send me a private message with your e-mail address. I'll send you a non-corrupt version of the pcmcia file from my startup disks. It's only 54k

Also, try recreating the six disks on fysically different disks. I once lost hours with a similar problem, just replaced the faulty disk with another one, created the disks again and problem was solved

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online