1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by help steve, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. help steve

help steve Thread Starter

Hi,

Have built a new pc. Tried to install XP direct from boot but no luck. Win 2000 will install from boot. My XP disc appears to be ok and will show itself if i put it in another pc. So I then downloaded the XP boot discs from Microsoft and copied to 6 floppies. When booting, on floppy 3 I get pcmcia.sys is corrupt. So i did it all again. Same story. ditto. ditto.

What am i doing wrong.

What do I do ? Would there be any detrimental effects if i install win 2000 then upgrade to xp - or is a fresh xp install best. Thankyou

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Clean install is aways best. What is happening when you try to boot from the XP disk. Have you tried putting the disk in another machine to see if it will boot from the cd.

3. plejon

plejon

PCMCIA are those credit-card sized cards you insert into a notebook. If you're using a desktop, or a notebook without such a card, it is probably safe to ignore that the PCMCIA file is corrupt.

Try to Ignore/Skip the corrupt file and continue the XP installation

4. help steve

haven't got another machine to try to boot from but seems ok if i use it to start upgrade ! Also you connot skip pcmcia file it is "press any key to reboot"

5. help steve

nothing happens - it says failed to find suitable CD boot file on CD when i try to boot from XP CD

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is this a copied cd, or is it an orginal ms cd? If it is a real ms cd, just call ms and they will send you a replacement.

7. plejon

plejon

Send me a private message with your e-mail address. I'll send you a non-corrupt version of the pcmcia file from my startup disks. It's only 54k

8. plejon

plejon

Also, try recreating the six disks on fysically different disks. I once lost hours with a similar problem, just replaced the faulty disk with another one, created the disks again and problem was solved

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice