1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ozwinedude, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozwinedude

ozwinedude Thread Starter

Hey all,

Rephrasing an earlier question...
    Basically my problem is I'm trying to put XP Pro on a 'puter which has XP home on it, and I try to get it to boot from my XP pro cd and it just loads XP home as per usual (even when I demand that it boot from cd) And I've tried using a generic boot disk and attacking it from DOS but it then decides that it can't find the HDD to start installing its swap file....

Any help on this would be supremely welcomed, and cheers in advance!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

A "generic boot disk" will fail to recognise an NTFS formatted hard drive. That's normal.

Have you set the BIOS to boot from the CD drive before the HDD?

3. ozwinedude

Yeh, I'd heard bout NTFS, and assume its what its formatted as...

And yep, have got the BIOS booting from cd, as well as this secondary "boot menu" thing which seems to come with IBMs (first one ive owned) booting from cd and it keeps trying to run this de-registered XP home

cheers

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The only reason that would happen is if the XP disk is not an actual boot disk (as in it is a "recovery CD" that requires a special process) or that (if it is a hologrammed XP disk) that the disk is damaged.

Is the XP Pro disk an original factory fresh real MS disk, not a "restore" CD from another brand of PC?

5. ozwinedude

Well, lets just say it aint a recovery cd, and as it so happens hasn't got a nice microsofty logo or hologram on it.... should still work but methinks?

Any way I can get a boot disk to take me to DOS that'll recognise NTFS so I get to it that way ya reckon?

cheers mate

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What you want to do is make a special Windows Disk that when needed boots the operating system for Windows XP Pro when you want it. I think that since you have XP Pro and I hope it is a legal version what you should do is install Windows XP Pro on this machine as the primary operating system. This way you will have all of the capabilities of Windows XP Home and the added advantages of XP Pro all at the same time and will not hae to boot into it because it will be there.

I think I know a place that will help you do this but I would like to know is the version of XP Pro a legal version?

7. sockey99

sockey99

Dude is not going to admitt it. I vote mark solved/delete.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Sounds like it might be a not-so-legal copy of Windows XP.

9. Emtronics

Emtronics

There is NO DOS in XP.

10. ozwinedude

mmmm ok..... people can be kinda savage on here, but I guess thats fair enuf

"dude" will admit that his brother made a copy of his original version and "dude" was seeing if he could get this computer flying at all before investing his hard earnt on a license himself
    as for ozrom1e's advice, mate.... thats exactly what I'm trying to do, hence the question...

*sigh* had hoped for some straightfoward advice, but seems to be not forthcoming, so go ahead and mark "solved" or equivalent, and I thank y'all for your time

11. jhoegl

jhoegl

for future information, you can "upgrade" from within Windows XP Home desktop. Just click on install or upgrade xp when the autorun window starts.

But yeah, get a legal copy anyways, because trust me... you will get the "deathstar" icon and its a whole other issue.

12. ozwinedude

righto.
    cheers

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You must have missed the TSG Rules on your way in. We do NOT assist in pirated software. Buy a copy of XP, then we'll be glad to help you.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice