xp installed on 2 hdds, how do i get programs to work from a secondary hdd?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kerri Ann

i put together a system the other day after my old one totally pooped out on me. i installed the hard drive from my old system into the new one as a second hard drive, and installed xp pro onto a different hard drive (primary master) in the new system.
how can i use all my old programs that are installed on the old hard drive without confusing the heck out of xp? many of the applications on the old hdd are confused when i run them, i am guessing because when they reference files in locations where they think they should be, but they are not finding them....???
i don't even have enough room on the primary master drive to install all the programs, its a very small drive. nor do i have enough room to fit xp onto the second hard drive...
(the first is 2.4 gigs, and the second is 6 gigs).

TIA for any help.

crjdriver

Applications must be installed in order to run. This is necessary for two reasons;
1 The os [XP] must have registry entries.
2 When an app is installed, it installs files to it own folder and installs files to the windows and or windows\system32 folder. These files are missing from your new xp install.

In short you must reinstall the app in order to have it run.

Hi Kerri Ann,

I have a similar setup with my primary master running WinXP Pro SP2 with my old Win98SE disk as the secondary.

Whichever program you want to execute on your old drive, visit the file and right click on Properties, then select the Compatibility tab and check it and select the block for Run this program in Compatibility Mode for: and pull-down whichever OS best fits your old OS - and don't forget to click on Apply then Ok. Once you have set up the runtime configuration like this, just double click to execute it.

Works for me - WinXP Pro is ok with it and doesn't get confused - no problemo!

-- Tom

How old is the computer your using now? Why are you using HD's that are that small? I'm not even sure if you can take a HD out of one computer and try using it in another because of you already have an OS installed on the Slave and the mite cause problems with the motherboard and the BIOS.
But this is somethign I have never done. I have had two OS installed on one HD in seprate partitions.

crjdriver

Just because the drive has an os on it will not make any difference as long as it is not the boot drive. I often connect drives with an os to my system to recover data, etc. As long as I do not select the drive in question as the boot drive, no problem.

While you MAY be able to use some simple apps, any reasonably complex program like office, photoshop, etc will not run until you install it using the current os.

How do you do that crjdriver? I mean you boot up on the master and then you go the slave (which already has an OS) and find what your looking for?
What does it look like?

crjdriver

If someone brings me a drive that is will not boot, cannot access os bad sectors, etc; I just connect it to my raid card [which supports raid drives along with non-raid drives]

As long as the drive is NOT selected as the boot device, I can then access any data I need from the drive. Copy it to a dvdr, cdr, etc and then give it to the person.

crjdriver said:
Just because the drive has an os on it will not make any difference as long as it is not the boot drive. I often connect drives with an os to my system to recover data, etc. As long as I do not select the drive in question as the boot drive, no problem.

While you MAY be able to use some simple apps, any reasonably complex program like office, photoshop, etc will not run until you install it using the current os.
Hi crjdriver,

I concur with your point of view. Let's see if Kerri Ann is talking about simple or more complex programs as you say.

-- Tom

Kerri Ann

crjdriver- that is exactly my situation. i actually have 3 hard drives for a whopping total of 9 gigs! (i need to update my sig)...
anyways, i have spent most of today fiddling with the files on C: and E: (E: is the old hard drive), trying to make sure all the references in C: are pointing to the right places! i think you're right, i will just have to reinstall all of them again.
there was one specific thing i did want to save, and that is my emails in Mozilla Thunderbird. mozilla's site says that i should just be able to copy and paste the profile mail folder (...\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxxx.default\Mail\pop.servername.com) right into the new installation of Thunderbird. I did that, and the messages in my inbox are not there to see when i open thunderbird. the other messages in the other folders are there (sent, drafts, templates, etc.) except inbox...
alos- the size of the inbox file located in the new installation reflects the correct size... i am out of ideas on this one now.

thanks for your guy's help!

Kerri Ann

prospect said:
How do you do that crjdriver? I mean you boot up on the master and then you go the slave (which already has an OS) and find what your looking for?
What does it look like?
it looks exactly like what your C: drive looks like now. except it's now D: or E: or whatever...

crjdriver

I am really not able to advise you on the use of thunderbird since I do not use it.
Does it have an import / export function like outlook?

While it is technically possible to make apps run that were not installed through the os, the amount of work would far exceed the time necessary to just install it.

Kerri Ann

thunderbird's features are somewhere between outlook and outlook express. it does have an import/export for mail and other settings, however, it does not list itself when it asks what program i want to import messages from. i guess i would probably have better luck with that question in a different forum. :)
well, thanks to you all for your help, now i am off to download.com to restore my apps...

:)

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Kerri Ann said:
there was one specific thing i did want to save, and that is my emails in Mozilla Thunderbird. mozilla's site says that i should just be able to copy and paste the profile mail folder
(...\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxxx.default\Mail\pop.servername.com)
right into the new installation of Thunderbird. I did that, and the messages in my inbox are not there to see when i open thunderbird. the other messages in the other folders are there (sent, drafts, templates, etc.) except inbox...
alos- the size of the inbox file located in the new installation reflects the correct size... i am out of ideas on this one now.

thanks for your guy's help!
Hi Kerri Ann

With Thunderbird closed,
navigate to your Profile's directory and rename that Inbox file to OldInbox
(Rename the Inbox file that does not have the .msf extension).

Start Thunderbird and see if a new folder appears named OldInbox
A new Inbox should be created when Thunderbird is started.

Let us know what happens.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online