1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Installer Issue after using add/remove programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lastactionhero, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lastactionhero

lastactionhero Thread Starter

Hi - I am new to the forum - posted one issue yesterday that has yet to be resolved - this is an additional problem I have noticed and may be cause of other issues - not sure.

I have Dell / Gateway computer - Optiplex GX260 - running XP Professional SP 3 build 2600 - Pentium 4 2.25 Ghz processor.

Attempting to clear out old stuff on my computer and make it work better (faster) - I used the add/remove programs from control panel - and removed old stuff that wasn't being used. I looked online to see if it was okay to remove what I removed - one thing I removed was GIMP - I'm not even sure what that is - but when I looked at its description online it looked like a program that was for graphics or photo editing. The other things I removed was old freeware virus trials and other freeware trials that had expired, old Java updates (checked online and it said it was okay to remove all but most recent). After I did this - I rebooted and then went to open a spreadsheet using Excel - and the program opened briefly with the window that shows up when you have shut down with documents open that weren't saved before closing the application, then the windows installer window opens up and tries to start installing. I got this computer used from someone a long time ago and so I don't have the software disks for that program - so I can't put the disk in when it asks for it - so I just hit cancel and it closes the application down. With every Office XP (aka Office 10) program it happens the same way. It shows they are still on my hard drive when I search for them, and on the add/remove programs area it shows up there as well - when I click the info button there it comes up with the option to do 'repair' and then it asks for a disk again.

Any ideas what the problem is - the programs are still on my hard drive and installed from what i can tell - I just can't open them. Help! I need my excel and word and access this week for work!

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

Not sure what you removed, but, in order to fix it, I believe that you'll need the Office install cds.

3. lastactionhero

I don't know where I would get them - as I mentioned I got this used and didn't get the software disks for it - do you know - if I can download the software somewhere if I provide to the place I download it from the key I have as proof that I did have the product to start with? HELP PLEASE

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

Without trying to sound like the anti-piracy police, they should have given you the disks and the key. The key isn't what you see in Help/about. You need the key from the back of the cd case.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Without the original disks to repair or reinstall from about the only option I think you might have is trying a System Restore. Have you done that?

Run msconfig and choose "launch system restore", then find a date that precedes what caused the problem.

6. lastactionhero

Thank you - thats what I was wondering - I forgot to ask about that - I knew there was a way to do a system restore - or to start using last known good boot record or something like that - I've used a program called puresync to back up my drive that was causing the 'blue screen' check disk error on booting and will also use it to back up my main boot drive and any data I might lose by doing the restore. Any more hints on things to do BEFORE I run the restore?

7. Bernardo

Bernardo

Make another restore point for right now, and at least you can get back to now.

8. lastactionhero

How do I make a restore point - will it ask me if I want to do that 1st before I try to launch the system restore?

9. Bernardo

Bernardo

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As long as you do not do a System Restore from Safe Mode, a current restore point is created automatically when you do a restore and you can "undo" any restore to a previous point after reboot.

11. Bernardo

Bernardo

Good to know one is created automatically! I think I should have known that :eek: Thanks :) I guess I knew that you could undo as well, that didn't equate with my brain :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!