1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp is not like 98...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ayeyah, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ayeyah

ayeyah Thread Starter

i got a new comp (sony vaio w/ windows xp home) to replace my old hp pavilion which ran windows 98. I am using a linksys router, and zonealarm. I want to run a DirectConnect hub http://www.neo-modus.com/ , but people can't connect to me. How can I configure my network settings so that people can connect to my hub?

2. ayeyah

ayeyah Thread Starter

forgot to mention...i registered a dns domain or something at www.no-ip.com, thats what i want people to connect to.

3. coulterp

coulterp

I would have thought it was sufficient to configure your PCs LAN connection to accept the IP address put out by your router (acting as a DHCP server), i.e. your PC is a DHCP client. Then all should be as before when using your original PC (assuming that in your previous configuration you used the router as the DHCP server).

In XP:
    From Control Panel, open the Network Connections folder and select the connection whose settings you want to change.

From the list of installed network components, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then click the Properties button.

In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box, .
    Click the "Obtain IP address automatically" radio button.

Click OK to commit changes.

Is your provider supplying a static or dynamic IP address? Are you using the router as a NAT-firewall. All these would affect how folk will get though to your PC and you haven't given any of that info so I couldn't comment.

I didn't quite follow the second part of your posting: I would have thought all that stuff about the DNS domain etc would have been handled by the router rather then the PC; thus Sony Viao or old HP is irrelevant. It may be that I just don't know enough about the DirectConnect hub stuff to comment usefully!

4. ayeyah

ayeyah Thread Starter

I'm trying to make it so typing in [domain].no-ip.com, instead of the actual ip, in programs such as netmeeting will connect to me. I really suck at internet/lan stuff, but i know for a fact that the default settings in 'network settings' are "obtain ip address automatically" and "obtain dns server automatically".

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you have a router in the Mix, you need to do some Port Forwarding on the Router.

And I believe XP's firewall my be turned on by default. Check you Lan Connection to see if that is enabled. That could be stopping it as well.

6. coulterp

coulterp

I agree with the previous poster - the answer probably lines in port forwarding on the Linksys router that you say is in the LAN configuration rather than on the XP box.

7. 10forcash

10forcash

If you're trying to 'host' a domain in XPH (BAD idea, almost as bad as win98) you need to assign a static IP to start with, get rid of the XP firewall and set the Zonealarm to a lower setting, allowing server permissions for your chosen programmes. If you want to protect your data consider W2K, Linux (or Unix for kiddies) or as a second best XPP. Your DNS, assuming only one PC connected to the internet, needs to point to your ISP's DNS, not forgetting a backup DNS, THEN, enable port forwarding on your router for the ports you need to have open, dont forget a good AV programme and to keep updating the OS and AV regularly, plus backup ALL your data to an offline media.
    Good luck!
    cheers,
    10forcash

8. ayeyah

ayeyah Thread Starter

thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice