1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP is Pure Garbage

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nancyfromboston, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nancyfromboston

nancyfromboston Thread Starter

I just purchased a new laptop with XP and it is pure crap. Misredirected websites, http errors constantly, unable to locate webpages. It sucks and I hope people seriously give some thought to what they are purchasing before they buy this junk.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Did you have a choice of OS when you bought the laptop? I wouldn't by an OS from M$ until at least their first service pack or major update comes out or you are basically still using a Beta operating system being their guinea pig.....NO THANK YOU....my time is too valuable.

3. plejon

plejon

Hmmm, very strange.

I have XP on my laptop and I never experience the problems nancyfromboston describes.

4. BML

BML

those kind of errors sound like you have connection issues.....maybe your ISP or internet connection or your modem.

If you get misdirects, http errors, etc sounds like you're not connecting. That is not necessarily the fault of the OS.

5. Ryan21

Ryan21

Thats more likely to be a browser problem before it's an OS problem.

6. Rikku

Rikku

I agree Ryan, I have been running XP for a bit now and find it to be quite stable.

It definitely must be some sort of ISP problem. I would recommend trying a new ISP - even Juno or whatever just to see if it helps....

7. Monk_

Monk_

Thought I would chime in, I'm an MCSE and why anyone would buy an MS product that isnt at least two years old is beyond me.

8. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Well Monk,

In my case, I am the guinea pig for the organzation :D

And we are planning a limited roll out of XP for children's gaming computers (I administor a library). After our testing, we found that this works better than any other Microsoft OS for both compatability and security. This was a fun testing period, I got to play games like Winnie the Pooh Baby and Madeline.

Of course, I also have my trusty 2000 box, that I can use for administering the network should the XP box go down.

At home, I am still running 98 on my wifes box and 2000 pro for myself.

9. kramnnim

kramnnim

I used XP on a 600 Celeron notebbok for several months, never had a problem. I just got this P3-M 1ghz notebbok with XP, again, no problems.

10. bcon76

bcon76 Guest

I know that many ppl like to slam MS, myself included, for problems crated by unstable OS's. But in this case I have to agree that it is not the OS. Here is the perfect oportunity to slam the computer manuf. for setting up the machine inproperly. It may work fine in there controlled enviornment but when other factors are applied things go wrong. I build my own machines like many of us here so I have no one to blame but myself when things go wrong unless it really is the OS. If you don't have the time or can't build your own for whatever reason I strongly suggest anyone at least format c: and install the OS yourself, along with anyother preloaded apps, in you own enviornment. If you don't know how to do that take a day and figure it out.

11. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    That's what happens when you buy get Home Edition. I've been running PRO for quite some time now and have never had a problem.

12. yomaddog

yomaddog

......kinda harsh,... gotta give the MS guys a chance to get this kite flyin'---they just tossed it up there...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice