1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP is too slow with large number of files.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lbtech, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lbtech

lbtech Thread Starter

Here is the situation.
    We work a lot with IP Cameras (or sometimes called network cameras). Most of these IP cams have the capability to send jpg images to an ftp server when motion is detected.
    The jpg image is about 40 to 50k in size and are stored in a folder named for the current date, so each day a new folder is created at midnight and all of the images for that 24 hour period are stored there.
    Anyway, what is happening is that when these cameras ftp this information to an xp machine on the local 100mb network, some folders end up with A LOT of jpg images in them. In one day, one camera can store over 100,000 images in a folder. Opening these folders takes a long time...sometimes up to 5 minutes just to see the contents.
    I have tried both using and not using File Indexing, but it seems to be the same speed either way.
    From what I understand, the main resource File Indexing uses is memory. The systems these images are being saved to are WinXP Pro machines running at 1GHZ minimum to 4GHZ maximum and memory ranges from 512MB to 2GB.
    I watch the task manager while loading these directorys and CPU is never over 4% so I assume the CPU has little to do with whatever is causing the system to take so long reading the files.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can speed up the process of viewing these folders with so many images in them?

2. Sponsor

3. lbtech

lbtech Thread Starter

Bump. Should this be posted in a different thread?

4. mrdobalina

mrdobalina

just a thought, but are the images being previewed by windows (thumbnails)? usually xp makes image folders show the icons as a preview of the picture. if that is the case, it can take alot of resources to pre-view 100,000 images. maybe try changing the view to "list" instead of "thumbnails"

5. lbtech

lbtech Thread Starter

Good idea...and I had indeed thought of that as well but forgot to mention it. All my folders are set to open in "detailed" mode only.

I have read that Windows XP - being an NTFS system, can accomodate file counts and sizes well in excess of anything Im doing. Its just frustrating to be waiting for so long for a folder to open when the modern PC should have no problem handling a this number of files.
    I see kids come in with virus laden PCs and they have 10,000+ mp3 files on their hard drives - taking up gigs and gigs of space - and they can happily open their folders in seconds. I have a bunch of clean, low-use machines and I try running a legitimate application for some security projects, and I get plagued by this slow reaction time. *sigh*

6. mrdobalina

mrdobalina

yeah, windows should be able to veiw the folder no problem, there might be something wrong.

are the problem folders being viewed while they are being used by the ftp server or the ip camera? maybe windows is having a problem loading the folder if it is being used.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

By any chance ? - is there an AntiVirus getting in the way ?

8. lbtech

lbtech Thread Starter

I can't remember if I have tried it without a camera FTPing images to a folder.
    I'll give that a shot.

Good suggestion, but I did disable all AV/SW software on these machines.

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Out of curiousity, run Defrag Analyze and look at the report under Master File Table fragmentation.

I expect the size will be "large", a high % used, and quite a few fragments??

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!