1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP keeps freezing/pausing/skipping

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dashdanw, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

Ill be doing anything, music, gaming, online, and every 5-30 seconds everything pauses, the screen, the music etc, music sounds like its skipping though. What gives?

2. happyrck

happyrck

give us more info on your system specs...how much ram do you have...how many apps do you have running at the time of the pauses

3. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

my setup is an AMD Dual Core with 1GB of ram, an NVidia 7600GT Vcard, also a wireless card and a sound card as well as 2 harddrives and a 500W Allied PSU. It starts doing it right from startup, my startup appications are cacheman, the AC'97 Sound Driver, wireless config and Steam (Valve). I also recently installed a new HDD around the time his started happening but its hard to say which one came first, the installation of the HDD or the skipping. Should i try and disable the 2nd HDD in Device Manager maybe?

4. happyrck

happyrck

yep..and if no joy then disable steam...then all the PCI cards until you find the problem device...it may be a driver issue...look in the device manager for any yellow ! marks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!