1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP keeps re booting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Reg8892, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Reg8892

Reg8892 Thread Starter

i am running a celeron 2.6 on an ASUS P4S800-MX with XP home
    each time i startup it gets to the windows desktop seaches the RAID settings then all goes blank and it starts to re boot. it does thei 2-3 times then comes up again and starts on the scandisk on the C drive. i changed the wireless k/board and mouse and the video card but still the same. appreciate any help Thanks Phil

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Have you looked at the bios? Perhaps setting it to default values for a trial?

Under what conditions did this problem begin? Out of the Blue? Or after you made a change?

3. Reg8892

Reg8892 Thread Starter

no changes were made prior to this happening. thats whats strange

4. Reg8892

Reg8892 Thread Starter

i checked all the settings and BIOS defaults. its booted up and gone into scandisk. i'm still running in FAT32 would it make any difference if i converted C drive to NTFS

5. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

What happened after it finished scandisk?

I don't see any reason that changing the file system would help at this point.

6. Reg8892

Reg8892 Thread Starter

It will usually boot and open windows ok showing no erors. then at any time from a few minutes to an hour or so it will "beep" and go into reboot again. sometimes it gets past POST to the windows screen but other times not that far and does that a few times then boots ok

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

I have that same board and it does the same thing.

1) Go into your BIOS and load the defaults.
    2) look in your device manager for problem devices, reload drivers as necessary.

The same board also occasionally tells me that my overclock failed. I've never overclocked it...I don't know why.

8. Reg8892

Reg8892 Thread Starter

thanks for the help. i have set mobo to defaults and it booted up fine (but a bit slow between POST and windows ) no errors in device manager. i was starting to think it was the CPU

9. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Is there a bios update?

10. Reg8892

Reg8892 Thread Starter

not sure if there is a BIOS update but i will check

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice