1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP keeps tryng to install printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rudeword, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rudeword

Rudeword Thread Starter

I have just replaced my father-in-law's old computer with my slightly less old cast-off running XP SP3. I cleaned out all unnecessary programs but did not reinstall XP. All is working as expected except:-
    He has a Lexmark 2300 printer and I have installed this using the installation CD as directed. The printer works, however every reboot XP shows "New hardware found" and then a window with "Cannot finish installation" and "Specified file not found" (it does not say which file). The only action button available is "Finish", but if pressed the window pops up again. This is annoying rather than debilitating because the printer remains usable.
    Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem, or how to acquire any extra useful information? I have tried uninstalling and deleting everything relevant I could think of, and then reinstalling, but problem returns.
    I have seen other reports of similar problems, but no answers to this one.

Thanks.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Look in device manager for the device with the yellow exclamation mark!
    Post the device IDs if it is not obvious what it is.

3. Rudeword

Rudeword Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, I should have been more specific. It is the Lexmark printer that I installed by CD that XP keeps complaining that it can't finish installing even though the printer itself works. I will look in Device manager next time I visit, but I'm not sure that will give any more useful info. I will be very happy if it does provide a clue.
    Rod

4. DaveBurnett

Look in Event Log as well.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. DaveBurnett

This sounds a bit like a problem I had ages ago and solved with the solution on here (years ago)
    It was to do with registry entries being deleted by an install if I remember.

7. Rudeword

Rudeword Thread Starter

Thanks Bob,
    I looked on Lexmark website myself previously for new drivers etc, but the only path for drivers I found only had newer models, so thank you for that link. I will certainly give that a try next time I visit (roughly weekly).

Dave,
    The Device manager shows no problems.
    The various logs I looked at for this morning's reboot show:-
    wbemess:- couldn't retrieve sid 0x80041002
    which might be the missing registry entry?
    wbemcore:- Get user Default LCID failed restorting to system verion
    note restorting and verion are the actual spellings in the message!
    But what is probably more informative is the following sequence in a file I can't remember the name of(doh):
    [2013/01/17 11:11:50 696.3 Driver Install]
    #-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): usbprint\lexmark_2300_seriesba1d,lexmark_2300_seriesba1d
    #-198 Command line processed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    #I022 Found "USBPRINT\Lexmark_2300_SeriesBA1D" in C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem18.inf; Device: "Lexmark 2300 Series"; Driver: "Lexmark 2300 Series"; Provider: "Lexmark Inkjet Drivers"; Mfg: "Lexmark Inkjet Drivers"; Section name: "INST_DRVR_NT_5_1".
    #I023 Actual install section: [INST_DRVR_NT_5_1]. Rank: 0x00000000. Effective driver date: 11/27/2004.
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
    #I063 Selected driver installs from section [INST_DRVR_NT_5_1] in "c:\windows\inf\oem18.inf".
    #I320 Class GUID of device remains: {4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    #I060 Set selected driver.
    #I058 Selected best compatible driver.
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL.
    #W154 Class installer failed. Error 1459: This operation requires an interactive window station.
    [2013/01/17 11:11:53 2232.2]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" with command line: rundll32.exe newdev.dll,ClientSideInstall \\.\pipe\PNP_Device_Install_Pipe_0.{07161068-0231-4EA3-A122-F53B97DA800C}
    #-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): usbprint\lexmark_2300_seriesba1d,lexmark_2300_seriesba1d
    #I022 Found "USBPRINT\Lexmark_2300_SeriesBA1D" in C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem18.inf; Device: "Lexmark 2300 Series"; Driver: "Lexmark 2300 Series"; Provider: "Lexmark Inkjet Drivers"; Mfg: "Lexmark Inkjet Drivers"; Section name: "INST_DRVR_NT_5_1".
    #I023 Actual install section: [INST_DRVR_NT_5_1]. Rank: 0x00000000. Effective driver date: 11/27/2004.
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
    #I063 Selected driver installs from section [INST_DRVR_NT_5_1] in "c:\windows\inf\oem18.inf".
    #I320 Class GUID of device remains: {4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    #I058 Selected best compatible driver.
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
    #I056 Coinstallers registered.
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
    #-011 Installing section [INST_DRVR_NT_5_1.Interfaces] from "c:\windows\inf\oem18.inf".
    #I054 Interfaces installed.
    #-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
    #I123 Doing full install of "USBPRINT\LEXMARK_2300_SERIES\7&36DB8FB0&0&USB001".
    #E122 Device install failed. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
    #E157 Default installer failed. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
    #I125 Installing NULL driver for "USBPRINT\LEXMARK_2300_SERIES\7&36DB8FB0&0&USB001".
    #E122 Device install failed. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

So I will try the latest drivers from Lexmark and report back. Thanks for your help so far.
    Rod

8. Rudeword

Rudeword Thread Starter

I eventually managed to get back to the computer with the problem and deleted the printer, disconnected it and removed the associated software via the control panel. I then ran the latest installation software downloaded from Lexmark, reconnected the printer when prompted by the installation, and it ran the test page successfully. However, the "New printer detected" message and the panel with "problem installing printer, specified file cannot be found" both appeared. Clicking "Finish" on the panel just cycles back to the same.

As I mentioned previously, it does not stop the printer from working, but is annoying, especially for my 86 year old father-in-law. I just drag the annoying panel off to the side of the screen and ignore it.

Any more ideas?? Thanks for suggestions so far.
    Rod

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice