1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Lan Issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by iissmart, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

I recently reformatted my hard drive and installed a fresh copy of XP Pro. Before reformatting, I copied all the files I wanted to keep onto a shared folder on a different computer (also XP Pro) through our LAN. Now, when I try to access the files again through my computer, it says:
    All I am doing is double clicking on My Network Places, then clicking View Workgroup Computers (on the left side).

2. killah

killah

turn off the XP firewall, and do you have any other firewall programs installed?

3. EvileYe

EvileYe

Do both computers have the same workgroup name ?

To Check the workgroup name:

Click Start/My Computer/View System Information, then select the Tab called 'Computer name' and check the workgroups are the same.
    To change it, select the Change button.

4. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

Both computers use the same workgroup - 'WORKGROUP'

I have the XP firewall disabled on both computers (both running SP2), and both computers are running Kerio Personal Firewall 4.

5. killah

killah

turn off Kerio, and both computers have different names? if so, turn off the firewall, and try searching for the other computer.
    also, connected through hub? router? direct?

6. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

Both computers have different names.

They are connected through a Linksys router (wireless G)...brand new, worked when it was set up like:
    Windows 2000 (running Kerio) <---> Windows XP (running Kerio)

I'll try turning off the firewall on both computers and will edit this post with the results.

[EDIT] OK, I turned off the firewall on the troubled computer (mine), and I still got the error message. I tried on the other computer, and with Kerio running I was able to browse to my computer, and access the shared folder...

[EDIT 2] I can ping the other computer with my computer, so mine can at least see it, but not browse to it...

7. killah

killah

if it dosent work, try pinging each other computers with ip address...that will at least tell you if they see each other

8. killah

killah

ok, so your computer, with NO firewall running gives a error when the OTHER computer tries to browse it?

And YOU computer can browse the OTHER computer fine through the network WITH kerio running?

9. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

Allow me to clarify:

Computer A: cannot access the LAN, gets the error message
    Computer B: the computer I am trying to browse to, connected to the LAN

Computer A, with no firewall, still gets the error message, as normal.
    Computer B, WITH the firewall running, is able to browse to computer A and view shared folders/files.

10. killah

killah

turn Kerio off on computer B, and see if computer A can browse it

11. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

Both firewalls are off on both computers.

Comp A still cannot access the LAN at all
    Comp B still can access comp A

12. killah

killah

i got 2 more ideas..then i am out...1) re-install tcp/ip, and 2, try to boot in safe mode WITH networking on computer A and see if it works, if not, maybe someone wiser then me has some more ideas....but in my experience..its almost allways the firewall :(

13. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

Booted into safe mode with networking...went to My Network Places...the window was completely blank, not even a menu on the left side...

I don't feel like messing around with tcp/ip at the moment, since it basically removed my 98SE computer completely from the LAN, with no point of return...

14. Old Rich

Old Rich

Often, running the "Set up a Home or Small Office NEtwork" wizard from My Network Places will allow the pc's to network.

wrs

15. iissmart

iissmart Thread Starter

OK, I set it up by clicking:
    Next->Next->Other->First Option->Next->Type 'workgroup', Next->Turn On->Click Yes->Next->Just Finish->Finish.

Still cannot access the LAN at all...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice