XP Lan Issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

iissmart

Thread Starter
Joined
Oct 14, 2003
Messages
215
OK, I completely read and understand the article. I have Kerio Personal Firewall 4 on both computers. Is there a way to configure it to allow network access from other computers?

Also, that article didn't really talk about why I cannot see a certain computer that is in my workgroup. I can access the LAN, but the computer isn't appearing in the list, even though they are both on the same workgroup...
 

iissmart

Thread Starter
Joined
Oct 14, 2003
Messages
215
With both firewalls on I could ping both computers to each. So I guess it's not a firewall issue.
 
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
403
iissmart said:
With both firewalls on I could ping both computers to each. So I guess it's not a firewall issue.
You might think so, but this is not always the case. Ping (packet internet groper) is a specialized query that uses the ICMP. And that's all it does. It does not not identify anything else. In summary, it is very limited in troubleshooting file sharing issues under Windows.

So, remove the firewall from your issue to begin. I know you said it was turned off, but that's often not enough. You might need to uninstall it. I know this might be hard at first, but it is a necessary step in troubleshooting.
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2002
Messages
22,468
The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

10. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting works fine so there is no need to change that either.
 

iissmart

Thread Starter
Joined
Oct 14, 2003
Messages
215
Bob Cerelli said:
1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).
Comp A is 192.168.1.149, comp B is 192.168.1.106 (both assigned by DHCP)

Bob Cerelli said:
2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.
Both are the same

Bob Cerelli said:
3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.
XP's firewall is off for both computers. Both computers can ping each other both by name and by IP.

Bob Cerelli said:
4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.
See above

Bob Cerelli said:
5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)
Workgroup name is 'WORKGROUP' for both, no trailing spaces

Bob Cerelli said:
6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.
No firewalls are running or installed, including XP's firewall

Bob Cerelli said:
7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.
Both computers are currently logged in with the same name and password. I don't understand this though. What if one computer was at the welcome screen, does this count still?

Bob Cerelli said:
8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm
Thanks, I will look at those.

Bob Cerelli said:
10. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windo...#browsing_delay.
Not really needed if its XP to XP...


I still cannot see the other computer, so I can't get to my backups...
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2002
Messages
22,468
How are your computers connected. Not once in several hundred XP computers have I needed anything other than the Default setting.
 

iissmart

Thread Starter
Joined
Oct 14, 2003
Messages
215
They are all wired to a new Linksys wireless-g broadband router. I'm pretty sure the wires are cat-5 (maybe cat-5e). It was working when it was XP <-> 2000, so I don't really see why it doesn't work when its XP <-> XP.
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2002
Messages
22,468
Curious because that is what the Default setting is for. And you've tried going back to Default and it fails?
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Top