xp laptop internet to share with vista desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

redneckwoman2010

i have a toshiba laptop that i have an always on internet connection and i need to get online with my vista ultimate Desktop machine, i have them hooked up via cross over cable but when i connect i only get limited connectivity and my internet gets lost on the xp machine. i know i am missing some steps but not too sure what ones? i share a house with others that are on the same cable modem as me through a gigabit n router. which is down in my landlords part of the house. i had it set up once to connect and the connection went down because the router was changed.

etaf

Wayne
can you connect the PC to the router, that would be the prefered way

anyway

You meed to set up Internet connection sharing ICS
on the toshiba machine
goto network connection
right click properties
advance tab
tick Internet connection sharing

redneckwoman2010

i already have the ics set up because the only thing that shows on the advanced tab is windows firewall and no i can not connect to a router or i would have already done that, my landlord does not want any more routers connected.

etaf

Wayne
post an ipconfig /all for both machines

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You don't need ICS if you have a router, and it'll only cause you problems. How about telling us the EXACT make/model of the modem, router, and the version and patch level of WIndows all around?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online