1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp laptop internet to share with vista desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by redneckwoman2010, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redneckwoman2010

redneckwoman2010 Thread Starter

i have a toshiba laptop that i have an always on internet connection and i need to get online with my vista ultimate Desktop machine, i have them hooked up via cross over cable but when i connect i only get limited connectivity and my internet gets lost on the xp machine. i know i am missing some steps but not too sure what ones? i share a house with others that are on the same cable modem as me through a gigabit n router. which is down in my landlords part of the house. i had it set up once to connect and the connection went down because the router was changed.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you connect the PC to the router, that would be the prefered way

anyway

You meed to set up Internet connection sharing ICS
    on the toshiba machine
    goto network connection
    right click properties
    advance tab
    tick Internet connection sharing

3. redneckwoman2010

redneckwoman2010 Thread Starter

i already have the ics set up because the only thing that shows on the advanced tab is windows firewall and no i can not connect to a router or i would have already done that, my landlord does not want any more routers connected.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    post an ipconfig /all for both machines

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You don't need ICS if you have a router, and it'll only cause you problems. How about telling us the EXACT make/model of the modem, router, and the version and patch level of WIndows all around?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice