1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP licencing (OEM) help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zeo, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeo

zeo Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Last week I setup a new system and bought and installed an OEM version of XP. I registered the copy with M/S and successfully connected and downloaded a few patches.

A few days later I noticed that there was a problem with my M/B, causing a few devices not to register correctly (sometimes not showing the device connected at all). I contacted the seller of my MB and he told me that the M/B is probably faulty, and offered me an alternative replacement.

I've now got the new MB but am unsure on what to do about windows. Will my licence of XP still be ok if I change the MB of my system, keeping the old HD still connected? Do I need to format and reinstall windows.. or will they block my key? (I've just spent £100 on this copy of XP and don’t want the money wasted, or have to buy another copy).

Am I able to reinstall windows, as I guess the HD will require an installation of the drivers of the new MB.

any advice will be much appreciated.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

What Microsoft will do regarding a motherboard replacement is subject to who you speak to at any given time.

Hopefully, if they question the change and you explain that the original board was defective they will reactivate your existing copy of Windows.

3. BigC

BigC

If you get the same motherboard back then you should be fine,

when you contact microsoft they will asking you a series of questions before giving you a new activation key. as long as you answer truthfully you will be fine.

I guess this is a custom build?

4. zeo

zeo Thread Starter

m/s suck, :(

I got connected to a call centre in india (i guess) and the lady on the other end told me my only option is to buy another copy of XP.

Apparently I myself am not allowed to build a system that will run an OEM copy xp unless I become an official m/s partner.

I guess I'm going to have to use the same m/b, I actually talked my supplier into giving me an upgraded version of the m/b (for my trouble) blah.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The problem is that this Windows XP is an OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer. If it was authenticated once it should be authenticated another time. I would call back and ask for a supervisor and act angry just a little bit. If you bought it for this computer then it should be authenticated on this computer.

6. sockey99

sockey99

I have always been able to authenticate OEM, online or by phone, espacially after changing hardware, because new hardware is what trips the flag.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice