1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP: "limited or no connectivity" on wired connection.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by schwim, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schwim

schwim Thread Starter

Hi there everyone!

Win XP SP 3
    Connecting to a wired connection.

My mom and dad came to stay with us for a while and we connected their computer to the network(with 6 wired and 3 wireless connections already present). It shows "limited or no connectivity". Here's what I've tried to fix.

1) boot into Debian live cd to ensure physical connection wasn't to blame. Connection worked just fine.
    2) boot into Safe Mode w/Networking. Connection was not present.
    3) ipconfig /RENEW (generates error: "An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.")
    4) netsh winsock reset catalog
    5) netsh int ip reset reset.log
    6) delete interface card in device manager and reboot.
    7) msconfig and shut down all processes but the bare minimum.
    8) checked services.msc:

COM+ Event System: Running
    Computer Browser: Set to manual. Started and it stopped, stating that sometimes processes will stop if there's nothing to do.
    DHCP Client: Running
    DNS Client: Running
    Network Connections: Running
    Network Location Awareness: Running
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC): Running
    Server: Running
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper: Running
    Workstation

9) Set specific IP and DNS under tcp/ip properties (192.168.1.125 for IP, 192.168.1.1 for gateway, 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 for DNS) Reverted when no change.
    10) Disabled Windows Firewall and AVG.

I'm completely stumped guys. I would really appreciate some help on getting this up and running for them. Here's the output of ipconfig /ALL

Thanks for your time!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

3. schwim

schwim Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the reply :)

I edited the post above to reflect that I disabled(and also reset to defaults) Windows Firewall and AVG. Problem persists.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall AVG and run the AVG Remover.

Make sure you have the latest ethernet driver from the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site.

5. schwim

schwim Thread Starter

AVG removal tool has been run and driver is latest available on Dell website.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The four "obvious" possibilities are pretty much ruled out by your test with the Live CD. But they are still possibilities since the test was probably minimal.

a. Router has run out of Dhcp server address space;
    b. defective cable;
    c. defective NIC;
    d. (actually a subset of c) NIC cannot auto-sync a speed. In Device Manager right click the ethernet - Properties - Advanced tab - for the 'Speed & Duplex property' try different values beginning with 100 Mbps full duplex and 10 Mbps full duplex.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice