1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp/Linux dual operating system

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by AllSeeing, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllSeeing

AllSeeing Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Situation:-
    I have XP installed on my master/primary drive (I have two hard drives), I instaled linux on the second, auto.
    Problem:-
    Linux's GRUB hijacked the boot prociedures, and is a strong suspect in the disaperance of the cdrom driver/s. I think that Linux wrote over the boot/mbr file(s) on the primary drive on instalation.
    Questions:-
    1. If I choose to keep GRUB as the primary boot system, how do I make it so that it naturaly chooses and loads XP first.
    2. If I choose to try to restore XP as the primary loader, do i run fdisk/mbr from the C prompt in windows?
    3. If I choose to try to restore XP as the primary loader, what path do I give it in the boot.ini to display linux as the second choice operating system, i.e. disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(?)\.......... (path goes here (something like this))

thanks to all that might have to "belt their head against a brick wall" to solve this oproblem/s, and my condolences to those that have already done it!.

Cheers Andrew

Once you've climbed the mountain you wanted to,
    theres always another bigger one you want to climb!.

2. codejockey

codejockey

You should probably post your question in the Linux forum; dual-boot issues (including Grub configuration and restoring MBR) come up frequently. The archives also contain a number of helpful threads.

Some quick responses:

(1) here's some info on changing the default O/S to boot: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157805

(2) fdisk /MBR will re-write your MBR; note that this will remove grub, and unless you have made a boot floppy, you will not be able to boot Linux. I believe you can also use the fixmbr command from the recovery console to do the same thing.

(3) your path to Linux depends on the partitioning of the disk that contains Linux. You'll need more than just a partition reference, however; you'll also need to install a bootloader in the partition. http://jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/ntldr.php has a good disucssion of the issues and procedures involved in using ntldr to dual-boot .

Hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice