1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp locked up....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by puter hater, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puter hater

puter hater Thread Starter

Ok short and sweet, YEAH Right! But I will try...

I was here posting tonight and the computer made a funny sound. I lost the mouse and everything froze up. I checked the connection and it is fine. I tried to shut down and it wouldn't. So I did the bad thing I unplugged it. It happend twice. On the 3rd time I went to open the case so in case it made the sound again I could figure where it was coming from. But it came to light, I don't know how to open a dell case so I tried to get back on line (to find out how) and now it is STUCK in the opening page just starting to load. It loads about 1/4 the froze. OK so now it stuck and I don't know what to do.
    Man, this almost feels like the old days. What a scary thought.
    Update... I was able to get the case open. I was able to get to restart but it locked up right away while making a high pitch sound in the case. It is not the heat fan it appears to be working fine.

puter hater

Dell
    xp

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi puter hater,
    I would back up any important files NOW just to be safe. When you say heat fan i assume you are referring to the CPU fan. If you have any case fans listen to those as well. Also listen to the power supply fan. If that is not the noise then it very well could be the hard drive. Try a scandisk if you can to see if any errors come up. This will make the hard drive be used for an extended period of time. See if you hear the noise. I think if it is the hard drive there is no fix except to replace it.

3. Emtronics

Emtronics

High pitched squeal? Sounds like a diode in the power supply went up. Seen this before, power supply went bad. Remember, the power supply supplies different voltages and can be bad and still start the fans and the computer but not power the entire motherboard.

4. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Sounds like you might have a power supply going bad.
    Or a hard drive going bad.

With the case open, where does it appear the sound is coming from?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice