1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

> XP locking up at loading splash screen after installing vid card drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MagnusTokai, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MagnusTokai

MagnusTokai Thread Starter

Core 2 duo 6750
    Windows xp 32/ Vista 64 dual boot
    MSI NX8800GT
    4 Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Right now my computer is configured so I can dual boot between XP 32bit and Vista 64bit. Vista works and loads up fine (beat crysis with no hardware issues on vista) but xp locks up at the loading splash screen with the blue progress bar and windows logo. The xp installation is a fresh install and all the drivers except the nvidia drivers are installed and xp is fully updated. Without the VGA nvidia drivers xp loads up fine except for the obvious no 3d acceleration and being locked at 800x600. Once I install the Latest nvidia drivers XP locks up when I restart at the loading splash screen. I've tried 3 different drivers the official Nvidia drivers, the MSI drivers on their website and the Omega 3rd party drivers. All of them lock up xp at the loading splash screen. The only way I can get back to XP is through Safe mode and last good configuration which is xp without the 8880 drivers installed.

What can I do to solve this?

For reference here is a pic I got from the web of the loading screen Im talking about where xp locks up at.

[​IMG]

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you load the intel chipset utility for xp?

3. MagnusTokai

I installed the utilities program and all the chipset drivers that came on the intel Motherboard cd including chipset, audio and other drivers.

4. MagnusTokai

Well, I tried formating and reinstalling XP and the same thing is happening. :(

I need suggestions.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried with another video card; something like an old 6600?

6. MagnusTokai

I tried the only other Video card I had which was an ATI X1950 pro and it worked fine without any lock up.

So it is either XP not dealing well with the Nvidia card drivers or the video card itself not playing nice with XP.

I would say that it was the video card that was broken but on Vista home premium 64 bit edition it works fine. I don't want to use my warranty until I know for sure. If I get the same card in the warranty exchange the same problem might appear.

7. MagnusTokai

Anybody got any other suggestions?

8. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

I've had this before.
    Does your motherboard have intergrated video??? (also known as onboard video)
    If it does then its because of the driver
    Everything until the Windows Login Screen is done on vga.dll Graphics driver(The universal driver for VGA. Everything displayed after is done on the installed driver. If your motherboard has intergrated Graphics. then it is likely that when you installed the chipset drivers you installed the Graphics driver as well. this driver overrides the other graphics driver, Leaving you with a computer that is on, but no display.
    I've only managed to correct this by installing a fresh copy of the OS and then not installing the Graphics driver.

9. MagnusTokai

The motherboard I use has no on board video. XP does work without the nvidia drivers but then I have no functional video card for games. There are no problems with my old ATI card but I don't want to have to switch and install the old video card every time I wanna use XP.

Link to the mother board I have.

10. MagnusTokai

Found out what the problem was. I had a TV tuner card that was somehow conflicting with my video card. Without it the Windows started up normally.

Thanks for the help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice