1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Lockup?? anD HD problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by keebs, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keebs

keebs Thread Starter

i know this is pretty low to install windows xp pro on but..650mhz comp 256 mb its an HP computer and i had windows xp for a long time about 1 year and now it starts to freeze and lock up like when windows starts up its all good but when i open a folder or iexplorer it just freezes i dont think its a virus because i got my norton on and housecall on ,also nothing really running and another problem is that i have another computer which is 1.3 ghz and when i put my HP HD inside that 1.3 ghz comp it dosent boot up and the hard drive is named like N4432fxgsd43 or numbers its wierd can anyone help me plZZZZZ!! thank you =] -keEbS

2. keebs

keebs Thread Starter

and yes i tryed to change the jumper setting and the bios setting plz someone help me thank you =]

3. dbls

dbls

I was having that problem for months with my Sony notebook, and it seemed to be worsening, happening several times a day. I finally went to the Sony website, found all the driver/software updates for my model, and installed any that seemed like a plausible candidate. When I updated the BIOS, bingo! That was three weeks ago, and it hasn't locked up since.

Once it was fixed, it dawned on me that the BIOS was the logical culprit anyway, since I never got a blue screen, it just froze and Ctrl-Alt-Del had no effect, so it had to be a problem deep in the bowels of the system.

See if you can find an update from the manufacturer of your BIOS or your motherboard.

4. dai

dai

pop the xp cd in and run
    sfc /scannow
    don't miss the space after the c
    run adaware and spybot
    you are at the bare min for ram recommend 512mg
    check your power requirements here
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
    with an older computer you may be underpoweres

5. keebs

keebs Thread Starter

Hi , Thanks for responding well i havent found any updates for my bios. and i ddi the scan now thing nothing really happened and the power supply was ok. so any more suggestions>??

6. dai

dai

when you put a hard drive in another computer you can rarely boot from it successfully.
    run adaware and spybot
    go to the h/d manufacturers web site and d/l their h/d diognostic tool to check the h/d

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice