1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Log In password request

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tom.stevenson, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tom.stevenson

tom.stevenson Thread Starter

Just upgraded from W2K to XP. In W2K I managed to get rid of the password request so that the system could bootup in my absence. In XP setup, I declined a password, but the request comes up, and the system won't boot until press Return/Enter key. Any ideas about getting rid of the request entirely?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tom

2. mobo

mobo

start/ run / control userpasswords2

Uncheck the password box.

3. tom.stevenson

tom.stevenson Thread Starter

Is my XP Log In without a check box different from everybody elses? I'll photograph and attach to me next post if you like. Any other ideas gratefully received.
    Tom

4. mobo

mobo

please do then..

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

After this upgrade, the easiest way of ridding yourself of the logon step is to use TweakUi for XP. You'll see the option under the Logon/Autologon branch after installation.

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

You may have no checkbox because you have not specified any passwords. Thus, that option does not exist.

For convenience, you can add a second User Accounts applet to your Control Panel instead of using the command line control of user passwords with this:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/AddUserPasswords2ToCP.reg

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

How about you using Alt+Printscreen and pasting it into paint.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!