XP Login Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheHipCat

I have been working on my fiance's laptop to get it configured for the wireless network at my apartment. After making some changes (I don't recall what) to the wireless settings, I rebooted the computer.

Now she cannot log on to her laptop because the log on window does not list any domains to log on to like it used to. Clicking the "Options" button doesn't show anything new either. When we try to enter her password (to log onto the system without a domain) we get the error message that we need to make sure the username and domain are correct. But as I said before, we cannot choose a domain anymore.

Is there any way to perform a system recovery to undo whatever changes I made? If so, where can I do that. Keep in mind we cannot get past the login window.

Thanks,

Zach

I have never had this problem, but when the computer boots up, tap the F8 key and try to boot into safe mode. If this works, see if there is anything wrong, and possibly do a system restore if needed.

TheHipCat

We tried that, but it still gives us the same problem. We also tried booting with Last Known Good Configuration, but it didn't solve anything.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Have you tried logging in with the Local Administrator account.

TheHipCat

Okay, we were able to log on to the administrator account and perform a rapid restore, so that problem is solved.

But... a new question has come up. Her laptop is originally configured for a campus domain network. We want to be able to network her laptop to my desktop for file and printer sharing as well as ICS.

Her laptop is currently communicating with my desktop (ie. the taskbar shows an excellent connection to my computer) but I cannot see my desktop from her network places, nor can I add it. I do not have internet access from her laptop either.

I don't know if it matters, but my desktop wireless card is a proprietary ASUS wireless card designed for my P4P800 Deluxe and is operating from ASUS software. I am using it as the access point.

I should also add that I have attempted a direct connection via the 1394 ports on both computers. Again, the computers seem to recognize that a network connection has been established, but still no file sharing, etc... If we cannot get the wireless to work then we'd like to fall back on the firewire rather than try to get an ethernet hub or purchase a crossover cable. (I believe that is the cable we'd need.)

Sounds like what you did originally to cause the login problem was change the domain she was logging into by trying to set her workgroup to match your.

This leads to your next question.

For you to see her whilst 1 or more clients are on XP machines you have to be in the same workgroup like "Workgroup" or MSHOME" or you have to browse to the other workgroup. You will also you will need to enabe a shared folder or seeing her is all you will do.

Here are instructions for doing that but you can find this and much more if you use the "Help & Support" link in the XP start menu.

To share a drive or folder on the network
Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the drive or folder you want to share.
Right-click the drive or folder, and then click Sharing and Security.
If you are sharing a drive, on the Sharing tab, click If you understand the risk but still want to share the root of the drive, click here.
If you are sharing a folder, go to the next step.
Do one of the following:
If the Share this folder on the network check box is available, select the check box.
If the Share this folder on the network check box is unavailable, this computer is not on a network. If you would like to set up a home or small office network, click the Network Setup Wizard link and follow the instructions to turn on file sharing. Once file sharing is enabled, begin this procedure again.
Notes

To open Windows Explorer, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
To change the name of your folder on the network, type a new name for your folder in the Share name text box. This will not change the name of the folder on your computer.
To allow other users to change the files in your shared folder, select the Allow other users to change my files check box.
If you are logged on as a Guest, you cannot create a shared folder.
The Sharing option is not available for the Documents and Settings, Program Files, and WINDOWS system folders. In addition, you cannot share folders in other user's profiles.