XP Login Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

x_theory

I recently have recovered from a hard drive crash, yet was able to clone most all of the old drive and WinXP installation over to the new one. When I did, it seemed like it was booting up, and did a CHKDSK and fixed several errors in my MFT. Since then, I am able to get up to the point where it says "Starting Windows" right before it pops up my login window, but the login window to input my username/password does not show.

I figured it might be do to a corruption of my Documents and Settings folder, which XP also checks in order to login, but I can't copy the clone of that directory that I have on my other hard drive in Recovery Mode using the XP Bootable CD. It won't allow me to change to the c:\Documents and Settings directory at all, or to the backup copy of it I have on my other drive.

I do have a backup of my system state on one of my hard drives, but without access to NTBackup, which you can only run in Windows mode, I cannot restore my system state to get it running again. I've tried an In Place Reinstall of Windows, but it did not fix the problem.

Previous to the hard drive problems, I experienced a "Boot.ini is corrupt or missing" and a "HAL.dll is corrupt or missing" error. When I run bootcfg /scan from the repair console it does not find the original Windows installation on C:, only my copy of it on my E: drive (2nd hard drive). Am I totally SOL here or can anyone help? I've exhausted all my technical knowledge trying to fix this problem. Keep in mind I'm trying my best to not have to reformat and start all over again. Thanks.

x_theory

Thanks Buddha. Actually, I got it fixed today. Luckily, I had a fairly empty partition on one of my other hard drives that I was able to fit a new installation of XP on. After that, I was able to access my drives and copy over my backed-up WINNT directory, and did a fixboot under repair console mode to fix the boot problem. I was lucky that it all worked.

X_Theory: 4 WinXP (+1 dead hard drive): 0 :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online