XP Login Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sqtman

I have WinXP Pro. If I turn my PC on and let it come up to the login prompt (CTRL + ALT + DEL), and then wait for several minutes (maybe 5 minutes, I've never timed it), then try to login, a message flashes on the screen (too fast to catch) and it immediately returns to the CTRL + ALT + DEL. I cannot login in.

If I power up the PC and login as soon as the CTRL + ALT + DEL appears on the screen, I can login fine, no problem. After that I can lock my workstation and unlock it no matter how long I wait.

Has anybody out there ever seen this?

sqtman

jargonize said:
try user accounts in control panel.
What am I supposed to be looking for in user accounts? I have admin rights to this pc, and I didn't see anything in there that had anything to do with my problem. It seems like some kind of timing problem.

Does it work ok if you go into User accounts and Select "Change the way Users Log on" then select "Use the Welcome Screen" ?

sqtman

I didn't see any of the things you mentioned in Control Panel, user accounts (or anywhere else). Thanks for trying!

It should be on the first screen when you open User accounts from the Control Panel, there should be an option to change the way users Log On.

I have included a screen shot of the first screen.

Attachments

sqtman

My User Account pages in Control Panel look nothing like yours. This is a company pc and I'm not a windows guru. My son's pc has what you're showing me - both pc's are running xp pro. I'll have to poke around some more. Maybe it's my windows theme? Thanks for your efforts!!

Ok try looking at your users this way,

Go to Control Panel and click on Administrative Tools then select Local Security Policy then select Account Policies/Account Lockout Policy and see if you can change any of the options here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online