XP Login problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tekknique

Hey Guys,

I have somewhat of a weird question. I recently had an interview where one of the question goes something like this "A customer cannot login to Windows XP since he keeps getting an error message, 'unable to login.....blah, blah, blah exceeded'.

The problem is that I do not remember the entire question nor did I know the answer. My interviewer told me that I can resolve the problem over the phone without 1: Providing him with the admin right username/password 2: The solution can be provided over the phone 3: Without having him logon to another domain 4: Without me having to go into Active Directory or any other type of Admin application

I guess my question is, is there some place where I can find all Windows Login errors so I can remember the question or does anybody know what the error can be?

I need to know since I have a follow up interview with the same guy and he will be asking me this same question. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

SirKenin

Banned
It's probably a connection limit exceeded error. It depends if the server is setup with timeouts or not. If the connection is inactive for a certain length of time the client will not be able to log back in and will be given that error.

Not sure though. A few more details would be helpful.

If a person is just logging into a computer, I'm not sure where there would have been any previous connections to have timed out. They haven't even gotten on the computer yet.

Now I have seen where there are only a certain amount of incorrect login attempts allowed. After that the user has to wait a certain amount of time before they can log back on again.

It could also have been that the password has expired but usually you get a slightly different error message than something has been exceeded.

tekknique

Thanks for the help guys. I wish I had more information about the scenario but the only thing I remember is that a user using XP is unable to login. Part of the error message is that he was unable to login since something exceeded. I have been looking online for a list of Windows Login error messages but I couldn't come up with anything.

SirKenin

Banned
Look something like this?

"The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer."
"The Maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer."

tekknique

Maybe a better way of looking at this is to consider this scenario:

A user calls the Helpdesk and cannot log into XP. Without the agent providing the admin username and password, without having access to Active Directory, and without sending a tech to the user's office; how can the agent get the user to login?

I was thinking something along the lines of maybe using computer management console from the agent's computer and modifying the user's profile? Not sure though...not too strong in that

Maybe having the user get into the PC using a guest account?

The problem is that I'm more familiar with 2000 and I use XP only at home. Is there something I'm missing? Nothing can be done from the login screen to bypass the username and password screen? Thanks again for the help and I know it's hard to go on without the exact error message......

tekknique

SirKenin

Maybe that was the error? ""The Maximum number of connections was exceeded at the remote computer."

Is it possible for that error message to come up when a user is attempting to login to his XP PC on a corporate environment?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online