1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP logon problems: Access denied when changing password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by momar, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momar

momar Thread Starter

I have a Windows 2k Server with about 10 clients with Windows 95/98, Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional. I want to be force the users to change their password after a certain amount of time. The problem is that when the users' who use Windows 95/98 or XP (2k Pro doesn't have the problem) passwords expire and they are prompted to change them at logon they receive an "access denied" message after inputting their new password. The only way for them to actually change their password is to move to a Win2000 computer and log in there, change their password, log back out and then log on to their 95/98/XP machine.

I have ensured that the "password never expires" checkbox is NOT checked. I don't like the security risk of not making them change their password.

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. momar

momar Thread Starter

I had a password policy set up to require them to change their password every 4 weeks or so with a minimum length and all. I had to remove it because when their passwords expired they could not access their computers without first logging into a Win2k machine, changing their password and logging back out.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't see where a password policy would allow or disallow a Win 95/98/XP user changing their passwords from their machine.

4. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Do your machines also all have the Client for MS Networks set as the primary network login, especially the 9x clients?

The XP one is weird, unless they are XP Home rather than Pro. The Home edition isn't really suitable for logging in to a domain.

5. momar

momar Thread Starter

All the Win95/98 clients are set for Client for MS Networks as the primary logon. No Home versions, all Professional.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!