1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Logon

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by solarant1, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. solarant1

solarant1 Thread Starter

I re-installed Xp Pro on a 32 bit laptop., and went thru the usual commands, I named the laptop "work" and it installed just fine.
    On boot up I got a asp.net logon window that popped up so I deleted that account.
    I then went to control userpasswords2 and tried to bypass the login screen at startup but when it logged on it opened a admin account settings and some of the programs I installed were not on the screen.

So I went back to user accounts and checked the box "users must use a password" now at boot up I get the login screen and administrator is the login box, I then remove the admin name and put in the work name and log on and all my programs open up fine, but when I go to inninstall anything get a pop up saying "to access this feature you must be logged inj as an administrator"

The work account is an administrator account ??? any ideas on whats happening, how can I change the settings so only the work account logs on automatically at start up.

I was going to go to computer management "local users and groups/users and disable the main administrator account but if I do this will I inhibit the work account from administrator rights etc.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What exactly did you use to install Windows XP Professional in that laptop?

What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of that laptop?

---------------------------------------------------------------

An ASP.NET account gets added to the user accounts when you install an old version of Microsoft .NET Framework.

If you have programs that require Microsoft .NET Framework, 3.5 SP1 and 4 are the only versions that need to be installed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. solarant1

solarant1 Thread Starter

I used the 2010 xp install disk that came with the original machine it is a dell D630. I let it download all the updates.

4. solarant1

solarant1 Thread Starter

The programs I use need network framework to run, but it downloaded net framework 4 and installed it.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm guessing you have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop.

I've purchased 2 refurbished D630's in the past year.

The D630 does come with Windows XP Professional SP3 installed.

----------------------------------------------------------

I resurrect and upgrade Windows XP computers on a regular basis, so I'm going to give you the steps that I use.

After you do a clean reinstall of Windows XP Professional SP3, ignore the automatic updates alert.

Go to the Windows Update site and do a "custom" scan.

Uncheck all the high-priority updates that are associated with Microsoft .NET Framework.

Select and install all the remaining high-priority updates(which are mostly security-related).

After they're installed and the computer is restarted, do another "custom" scan.

Select and install all the high-priority and optional updates that are associated with Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5.

If there are additional high-priority updates, select and install them too.

After they're installed and the computer is restarted, do another "custom" scan.

Select and install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.

Note: Do not select and install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 anywhere during this process.

-----------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice