1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP loop - Not able to Boot in Safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Curtus, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Curtus

Curtus Thread Starter

I have a Dell PowerEdge 1800 Server, that my brother converted into a PC.

It has a SCSI drive on it, my main concern/goal is to obtain my files on the hard drive. I have another desktop, if the server works, yay, if not. Just want the files!

I'd like to see if anyone here can fix it before either purchase the a SCSI to USB adapter which is expensive, or purchase a SCSI to IDE cable.

I believe I obtained a virus, restated the computer:

1. Goes to Windows loading screen, and stays there forever with the bar always loading.

2. Tried to boot in safe mode, unable to do so, seems like it freezes when loading to go into safe mode.

3. Tried the solution for "Windows stuck at loading screen" online, which is to put in Windows XP CD, tried to do a Repair, but it ask's for an extra file/disk which I do not have.

4. Don't know DOS, not even sure what to do with that.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I just want my files!! My brother is out of country and cannot help, and is unreliable even here.

2. eastydie

eastydie

can you go to your bios?
    change your primary bootable drive to your other hard disk and try installing your windows again.

3. Curtus

Curtus Thread Starter

Don't have a second hard drive on the server.

And it can't boot from USB either.

Can I partition the drive, and install windows again....would this still save my files?

4. eastydie

eastydie

when you partition, you reformat your drive.
    if i were you, i would take my hard disk off my CPU and borrow some enclosure for the hard disk and get my files with the help of a friend's pc. this is a bit tasky i am sorry :(

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Boot up with a "live" CD and copy your files elsewhere, like to CD, the network, or a USB thumb drive (connect all hardware before booting the CD's).

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image) (has file manager, file and partition recovery, and will connect to the net)
    OldTimer's Boot CD

There has been no DOS in any Windows operating system for a very long time, and DOS cannot access partitions or files from XP or newer, anyway.

6. Curtus

Curtus Thread Starter

Will try that....the enclosure must be SCSI compatible, correct?

Will look online to see if I can find (download) a "live" CD. Do 'live" cd's usually come with the package, my cousin might have one when he bought his laptop....

My current XP cd is a copy/pirated :eek:, if that makes a difference.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, that makes a difference. We can't help you. Buy a legal copy and stop stealing from others. Not real bright to announce that on the internet, either. The police and Microsoft use the internet, too, you know.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice