1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Loses Favorites

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lschul, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

For some reason, when I click on my favorties in XP Pro, every now and then it loses them or switches to some other set of favorites. I have no idea why. When I restart it fixes itself and goes back to my favorites. Is there some way to fix this? I am the only user and account on this computer so I don't know.

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

When your favorites are showing correctly, copy them to another folder, and use that folder to use your favorites.

3. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

so how do you exactly copy those and designate that folder to be accessed?

4. MastiffShack

MastiffShack

Use Windows Explorer and follow:

C: > Documents and Settings > (user ID) > Favorites

You'll find all links there. You can copy the contents to a nother folder and place it on your desk top. Don't try to move "Favorites" though, as IE might start acting more flakey...

Hope this helps...

5. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

OK, that was easy to find, how exactly do you copy them? When you click on one it opens, I am not this dumb, I promise!

6. MastiffShack

MastiffShack

There are a couple of ways you can copy what you want, here's one such way (just a recommendation, you can experiment some if you wish).

1) Open Windows Explorer
    2) Click once on the C:\ drive.
    3) Move the cursor to the right where all your folders/files are shown for the C: drive.
    4) Place your mouse pointer over an empty spot, and right-click once. A menu will appear.
    5) Select New > Folder. A new folder will be created called "New Folder" and the name will be highlighted. Just start typing the name you want to give it and press <enter>.
    6) After it is created, it will appear in the list of folders under the C: drive on the left. Now you have a target for the folder/files you want to copy.
    7) Go to your "Favorites" folder in the location indicated earlier. Now choose if you want to copy the folder or the files in the folder.
    8) If you want to just copy the files in the folder (your links to your favorite web pages), then click once on an empty space inside the Favorites (this changes the focus to that panel). To select all files, you can enter Ctrl-a or select: Edit > Select All from the drop down menu.
    9) Once all the files are selected, press Ctrl-c or select: Edit > Copy from the drop down menu. Now all the files to copy are listed in the "clip board".
    10) Open the folder you just created, and click once in the empty space on the right (once again to change to focus to "inside" the folder). After that, then press Ctrl-v, and the copy will begin.
    11) If you want to copy the folder, you can do so by right-clicking it in the folder list on the left, and when the menu is shown, select "Copy". You can then perform step 10 above and the folder will be copied, along with all of the contents.

If something is unclear, please don't hesitate to ask.

--

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice