1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp machine an Me machine?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bcon76, Jan 14, 2002.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcon76

bcon76 Guest Thread Starter

Hope you can put up with a stupid question. I'm just getting my feet wet when it comes to networking. My machine is running XP and my girlfriends is running ME (no choice right now due to her online class) in the same house. Will I be able to network these two machines? If so are there any ramifications in having NTFS on my machine and fat32 on hers? Ok, so that was 2 stupip questions.

On another note
    Dose anyone have any suggestions for home networking hardware? Can't afford wierless so I will be going with 10/100 ethernet unless there are any wireless pacages that are coparable in price. At most ther will eventualy be 4 machines on the network so having that capacity or the ability to expand is important.

2. brianF

brianF

You should be able to network those fine.

If you want to share an internet connection you might as well go with a router. My understanding of routers is limited as I don't use one but basically the router will take the ip address of your connection, and inturn give your other machines an internally ip address so all machines can use the one ip address on the router at the same time. The 10/100 nics are fine with the appropriate cat5 cables.

If your not going to work about internet sharing a switch would be next best, followed by a hub

you can get a bunch of info here on networking different operating systems
    http://www.wown.com/

3. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    First of all, use a router. I suggest a Linksys Router. It has a 4 port switch built into it. You want to use a switch verses any kind of hub because they allocate bandwith more evenly. The router will also firewall your entire network using NAT (Network Address Translation). This allows multiple machines to get out on the Internet using one IP address. Make sure you enable DHCP on the router and set your computer to obtain automatically. This makes life a lot easier. You can get this router for about 100 bucks. Also, make sure you use 100 mb cabeling. And as for your other question, absolutely the two OS's can be networked together. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

swb

4. bcon76

bcon76 Guest Thread Starter

A router would be nice but money is an issue.

This is what I can get for $89:

Linksys Fast Ethernet in a box

Includes Two 32-bit Professional-Grade PCI LAN Cards, an expandable 5-port 10/100 Dual-Speed Hub, cabling, and software.
    Ready to run with Windows 95, 98, NT, Linux, and More
    Includes virtual motion's LANBridge Software -- Allows 2 PCs to Share 1 Modem.
    LAN cards automatically detect and negotiate 10 and 100Mbps connections -- True Auto-Sensing, Dual-Speed per port.
    LAN Cards are Plug-and-Play compatible on PCI Motherboards with Plug-and-Play compatibility.
    LAN Cards support Wake-On-LAN for remote PC bootup & control.
    PCI Bus mastering for blazing uninterrupted data transfers.
    Software drivers for all major networks included.
    Hub utilizes Built-in Data Collision Control.
    Free technical support and software upgrades.
    Five year limited warranty on hub.
    Limited lifetime warranty on LAN Cards and UTP Cables.

(if you can point me to a kit of individual hardware that includes a switch for under $100 please do)

Is this worth the money? You mention bandwith alocation. Do you think the LANBridge Software or ICS in XP will do a good enough job? As of tomorrow I will be connected through a 1500k cable provider so as long as each machine is able to get a somewhat equal portion of that bandwith I'm not too worried about it.

5. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    That sounds like a good deal. You may also want to try the router. It's only about 10 bucks more and I've had a lot of results with it. Money's tight for too. It really sucks!!!

swb

6. dojo

dojo

Just wanted to add my two cents to this because I've just been through the whole networking thing at home with two pc's both running WinXP.
    I bought the Linksys unit described above and found that the specs show that both pc's be connected to the switch, along with the DSL connection to the switch.
    Starting the XP network wizard, when I inputted the type of arrangement that this was, I got big WARNING screen from XP saying that this was NOT an approved or recommended arrangement for this operating system.
    The correct way (XP says) is that one of the computers is designated HOST, thru which goes the internet connection. So two 10/100 cards in the HOST (one connected to the DSL modem and one to a switch) and then the CLIENT computers get plugged into the switch.
    ALSO: If you search the "WinXP Catalog" site for hardware certified to work with XP, you won't find this Linksys arrangement.
    So I returned the Linksys and purchased a switch and cards that were listed on that site (made by Compaq) and, sure enough, that setup made XP's network wizard very happy.
    I initially did have a problem connecting CLIENT to the internet, but it turned out that my Norton firewall was blocking that path and it was quickly fixed.
    I'm not saying that the Linksys arrangement could not be made to work, but I wanted you to know my little XP networking story.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice