1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP machine - help?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CC_Hawg, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CC_Hawg

CC_Hawg Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing some problems with my XP machine. It is a eMachines with 2.8 Ghz processor, 160 Gb harddrive, 512 Mb ram. I began having problems where the computer would not boot - it would boot as far as the BIOS screen, then hang at 8 KB into the memory check. I opened up the case, and it was FULL of dust! I vacuumed it out, cleaned up the cooling fanse, etc., after which the PC would boot up fine all the way into Windows - that's the good news. The bad news is that it would not recognize my USB optical mouse, nor any other USB devices that I tried. I tried to do a system restore to a time before the problems started, but no luck. I then ran a complete system scan with my AV, and everything came up clean. Soon thereafter, I began receiving a message that my USB Root Hub a surge was causing my USB Hub to pull too much power, and it had been shut down. I tried to reset the hub as per the directions provided by Windows to correct the problem, but no avail. THEN, yesterday I began having problems with the boot again - now everytime I turn it on, it gives me the "Sorry for the inconvenience but Windows did not shut down properly before", and gives me the option to start in Safe Mode, SM Networking, Command Prompt, Lask Known Good Config, or Start Normally. Problem is that now apparently my computer is no longer recognizing my keyboard, so I cannot make a selection. I have also tried to repair using the Restore disk (it's eMachines, so no actual XP disk) to bring it up, but again, cannot select anything because the KB doesn't work. Since the USB ports and KB/PS2 mouse ports are so close together on the motherboard, would I be somewhat correct in guessing that this could be a motherboard failure? If it helps any, this computer is about 5 years old.

Also, by the way, I did hook up both the mouse and KB to another computer, and they work perfectly, so they are not the problem. I have also tried hooking up other KB and mice to this PC, and they don't work either.

I have bought an external hard drive case so I can pull the HD and recover my information should it be motherboard related.

Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice