1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP machines/users disconnected from NT server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dcfarrar, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcfarrar

dcfarrar Thread Starter

Hi;

It appears that NT 4.0 is kicking off various machines running Windows XP from the network, and won't allow users to access files on the server or other computers on the local network. I have fiddled with their accounts a couple of times (checking user logon names, permissions, etc) and without actually changing things have found the network to reappear on these machines. Without doing that every single time (which is every couple of days now), is there a way to make XP and NT interact a little better?

Thanks,
    Danielle

2. Calculon

Calculon

We had the same problem with XP workstations connecting to win2k servers. I found an article on techrepublic.com which helped quite a bit. Here is their blurb & link:

SOLVE WINXP NETWORK COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS WITH THESE TIPS
    After installing Windows XP Service Pack 1, you may experience problems
    when communicating with Windows 2000 servers. Find out how to resolve
    these issues by editing the Windows registry and policy settings, and
    then join this article's discussion.
    http://cl.com.com/Click?q=b5-50ycQ7Ui5HPMZ_i9EB5Gvc3ZEZhc
    also at:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article.jhtml?id=r00320030121pos01.htm&fromtm=e103-3&_requestid=152075

The article didn't address everything we saw. We also had to upgrade the drivers for our 3com firewall NIC's as well as turn off caching on fileshares in Active Directory. Turning off caching was the big one. Then workstations which had connected using caching had a little caching icon appear in the taskbar, which said "working offline" and the name of the server they couldn't connect to. We had to right-click that, get settings & disable to option to work offline via caching. Then everything was fine.

Hope that helps.
    I know you have NT4 & not windows 2k, but they're similar enough that I figured a recitation of what we had to do might still apply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice