1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp Maintainence Newbie

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pawnclaw, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pawnclaw

pawnclaw Thread Starter

Hello, been a while since I posted a message. However I gpt me a new computer compaq presario 6433us series and it is running Windows XP. Here is the specfic specs. Can anyone please tell me if this is a good one for Home Use. Also Can anyone tell me how I can do the maintence on XP I live in a rural area and cannot get anybooks at the bookstore that tells me what to do. I do have XP for Dummies, but isnt much help. People have told me that I should do the defragging and check disc in Safe Mode. Can you please give me some instructions as what I need to be doing.
    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name FEB082003
    System Manufacturer Compaq Presario 06
    System Model DA261A-ABA 6433US NA910
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~2131 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD AM37307, 11/28/2002
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
    User Name FEB082003\Owner
    Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 164.66 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 1.56 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.07 GB
    Page File Space 1.10 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. pawnclaw

pawnclaw Thread Starter

Thanks for the links, if there is any other information that you can get me I would greatly appreciate it. Also should or should I not do this maintence in Safe Mode.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I haven't seen any reason to do those procedures in Safe Mode in XP unless you are encountering some specific problem. You may have an issue with Disk Cleanup not running correctly, but if you do, post the problem and I'll tell you the fix. Probably a good idea to disable your antivirus program before running Defrag and close other programs, but I haven't seen many issues concerning it in XP, unlike earlier Windows versions.

Here's a great XP resource I refer to often when researching problems.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

I have scores more in my favorites menu, but most of them are fairly specialized.

5. pawnclaw

pawnclaw Thread Starter

I appreciate the help, I dont know why they wnat me to run defrag and check disc in Safe mode. All I have to do is shut down all programs down and disable Norton 2003 in the task bar, is this correct. Also since I have never did this before and this computer has a partitioned hard drive,( D drive came like this believed to have the compaq recovery stuff and the C drive 108 gigs big, will this be an all day or night event in doing this. Also how does a person get rid of all the cookies, internet files, and temp stuff that one tends to collect while searching this world wild web. Thanks again for all your help. Also can you recommend any really good but simple english books on using Windows XP Home edition. Thanks pawnclaw

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Although I haven't had any occasion yet to run chdksk, that's exactly the way I ran defrag; it took exactly 21 minutes on an 80gig drive running at 2.5ghz.

You should definitely do a disk cleanup first. This will take care of the recycle bin, temp and TIF files. If the cleanup utility hangs, see this thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101596&highlight=compressed

If you delete all cookies you will have to reenter passwords on all sites that require them. Along with TIF files they can be deleted through Internet Options > Temporary Internet Files. If you want to manually trim them, which is what I do, look for the cookies folder under your User Name: eg...

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Cookies

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice