1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP MCE freezes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bayrec, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bayrec

Bayrec Thread Starter

Good Afternoon -
    I am trying to help a friend with his HP m1195c. At first, it was not booting up predictably, with frequent BSOD. Once I got it running by cleaning up malware, I backed up files (mostly music) and created restoration set of disks. Thinking this should have been done when new - could this be part of problem later described?
    After everything cleaned up, the computer kept locking up and had the BSOD with the error indicating hardware. Eventually, the computer could not find boot drive - so I decided the hard drive was in fact failing.
    New hard drive installed, reinstalled Windows MCE from the 10 disc recovery set. (This has been done several times - each time it NEVER installs disks 1-10 without asking for the correct disk. Eventually it accepts each disk but always says to insert disk#X despite it having already been put in the drive.)
    The trouble is while playing music (that is the purpose of this computer - he practices his guitar to it) the computer freezes intermittantly. Perhaps once per 1/2 hour or as often as 10 times an hour.
    I have used multiple programs to test CPU, motherboard, memory and mainboard as well as the new hard drive. Everything checks out.
    I have shut down as many processes as I can think of including anti virus, anti spyware. Registry is clean from tuneup 2007, all updates are installed. New video driver from ATI is installed. I am sorry I met this computer! Any suggestions will be appreciated - I have information to order O/S from HP and perhaps that is the answer. Oh - the memory has also been replaced. It occurs to me that this computer might have taken a hit of some magnitude that has caused damage to the memory and the hard drive and perhaps minor damage to some other component that is not showing up in tests.
    Test programs include PC Doctor, HW Monitor Pro, Perf Monitor, Advance WindowsCare 2. :confused: I am willing to pay for software that might diagnose this but dont want more passing results....
    Thank you in advance,
    John

2. Bayrec

Bayrec Thread Starter

The freeze occurs while playing music - most noticable then anyways - CPU hits 100%, mouse freezes, and sound becomes nasty buzzz. This lasts from 5-12 seconds and then the computer continues to run. I can leave it playing music all night long and it will still be up running the next day but continues to freeze. Watching processes in Task Mgr is of no help. By the time it reacts, it is froze - shows no process causing the problem, then returns to normal operation....

3. speed_hog

speed_hog

Bayrec welcome to TSG,

Lets try 2 things first.
    #1;
    How to post a minidump log

I barrowed this great tutorial from;
    Rollin' Rog
    Moderator with 42,872 posts
    I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Windows driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

#2;
    Go here and get HJT and run it so we can see what all is running and then go from there;
    http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/603629-security-help-tools.html

And in your spare time read some of these posts;
    http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/

4. Bayrec

Bayrec Thread Starter

Appreciate the instructions - I will send requested files in today. Thank you again.

5. Bayrec

Bayrec Thread Starter

Thank you again for your help. I have attached requested files. There is only one minidump file. The HJT file has been renamed because I created a file then thought perhaps a fresh reboot might produce a different file. Turns out there is size difference between first and second.

Attached Files:

6. Bayrec

Bayrec Thread Starter

thinking I replied incorrectly - I did not see an advance tab...hopefully the attachments are where they are suppose to be

7. speed_hog

speed_hog

Bayrec, the files you uploaded are exactly right.
    Your hjt log shows no excessive running processes which is good.
    Your BSOD’s are most likely caused by your ATI video card or Driver,
    And as you have installed the newest one from ATI one might assume the video card it self may be bad?

** O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    The above is from your hjt log and it is for the Recovery Partition on the hard drive,
    I have the same program running on one of my PC’s it protects that partition.

Next time you help a friend, I would definitely try using the Recovery Partition before I tried ANYTHING else and before getting a new hard drive and then clone that partition before getting a new hard drive so you can put it back on the new hard drive.

Another thought, did this happen before you installed Service Pack 3?
    If not uninstall it.

With the CD_DVD rom errors you are getting the drive may be bad, I would do some testing on it to make sure.

Check Event Viewer for errors and post info back here;

Event Viewer Tutorial

Please go to Start - Run - type in eventvwr.msc to open the event viewer
    Or;
    Right click on my computer and choose Manage.
    Computer Management window should open. “Maximize it”
    Left side click on the plus sign next to Event Viewer and it should expand.
    Click on Application first.
    Click on System second.
    and in the right side it may have;
    (yellow) = warnings
    (red) = errors
    Types of events.
    Double click on any one of them and a smaller window will open called Event Properties.
    Click on the right hand side 3rd button down that looks like to tiny pieces of paper with the corners folded over and that will copy the information to the clipboard;
    Then open NOTEPAD and hit Ctrl V (paste) and there is the information about the error!
    ***Save the file if needed and post on the forum.

Error Report Follows:

ATI Rev3 buffer
    Bucket = ATI_MC
    Probably caused by : ati2cqag.dll ( ati2cqag+9bff )
    --------------------------
    THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (ea)
    The device driver is spinning in an infinite loop, most likely waiting for
    hardware to become idle. This usually indicates problem with the hardware
    itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

If the kernel debugger is connected and running when watchdog detects a
    timeout condition then DbgBreakPoint() will be called instead of KeBugCheckEx()
    and detailed message including bugcheck arguments will be printed to the
    debugger. This way we can identify an offending thread, set breakpoints in it,
    and hit go to return to the spinning code to debug it further. Because
    KeBugCheckEx() is not called the .bugcheck directive will not return bugcheck
    information in this case. The arguments are already printed out to the kernel
    debugger. You can also retrieve them from a global variable via
    "dd watchdog!g_WdBugCheckData l5" (use dq on NT64).
    On MP machines (OS builds <= 3790) it is possible to hit a timeout when the spinning thread is interrupted by hardware interrupt and ISR or DPC routine is running at the time
    of the bugcheck (this is because the timeout's work item can be delivered and
    handled on the second CPU and the same time). If this is the case you will have
    to look deeper at the offending thread's stack (e.g. using dds) to determine
    spinning code which caused the timeout to occur.
    -------------------------
    Debugging Details:
    -------------------------

ATI Rev3 buffer
    Bucket = ATI_MC

FAULTING_THREAD: 8652f5a8

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: GRAPHICS_DRIVER_FAULT

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xEA

PROCESS_NAME: explorer.exe
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here are some links for your error so read them and you will get an idea of what you need to try.
    I used the search word: ati2cqag.dll bsod and then error to come up with this info.

http://forums.techguy.org/games/454406-random-game-crashes-need-bit.html
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/555132-blue-screen-death-error.html
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=146474
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic42331.html
    http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Blue-Screen-Ive-t201362.html&pid=2103721
    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.co...please-help-computer-reboots-memory-dump.html
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic38585.html

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice