XP MCE will not start in any mode

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fpperryaz

A new printer (with a built-in card reader) apparently changed the PC's drive letters. The printer was disconnected and the registry was edited to change back the drive letters. The drive with %systemroot% had be named H: instead of C:, so it was renamed back to C: using regedit and on reboot failed to load XP in any mode'.
Have tried Safe mode, Safe mode with command prompt, Last know good... apparently explorer.exe or cmd.exe cannot be found and thus wont load.
Would like use a Restore Point prior to the regedit. Tried to run rstrui.exe from a command prompt using a BartPE boot disk but nothing happens. Did run a full chkdsk to no avail.

XP MCE SP3, is running on a HP Pavilion a1520n with an AMD 44 AthlonX2. on a Maxtor 6L250S0 drive.

Suggestions? Any help will be really appreciated.
Frank

I have never hear of a printer changing a PC's drive letter. I recommend you do a Windows Repair using the Windows MCE boot disk. Boot with it and select R.

fpperryaz

I would if I had one. HP doesn't supply them, only a recovery partition on the hard drive. But thanks for the suggestion. I basically trying to find out how to do a Recovery Point restore without windows running.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online