1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Media Center continually restarts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GFriday, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GFriday

GFriday Thread Starter

I'm running Windows XP Media Center SP2 and every time I turn the computer on windows will go through all its processes until the desktop appears. Then as it plays the standard windows chime it gets stuck on the last chime for half a second and automatically restarts. I am able to start the PC by going into safe mode and resetting to the day before this problem started. However this has happened before. I had it checked out and tested at a PC shop and they told me all hardware checks tested fine. They couldn't find any viruses or any spyware that would cause this issue and advised me to reinstall media center. I then requested they do the reinstall which they kindly did. Now 3 weeks later I am faced with the same issue... Does anyone know of this problem? Restarting in safe mode and resetting the day only works for a while. Should I install a different copy of media center? Thank you for any assistance or adivce you can provide me.

2. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

The problem you explain is that windows is restarting at the end of it's boot.

The culprit is windows is crashing and then rebooting. In order to determine WHAT THE CRASH IS, you need to disable automatic reboot.

So right click on my computer, select properties. Click on advanced. Click on Settings in the Startup and Recovery section, and UNCHECK 'Automatically Restart'. Click ok, then ok again. If you notice this section will tell you where the dumps are being created and whether or not it will replace the latest crash with the last one. You may take a look in that directory and decide whether or not to post it with your followup post.

You will probably have to boot to safe mode to do this. If it still doesn't work then I'd suggest returning the PC to the shop and explain kindly what is going on.

Once you have done this, reboot the system. Now when the system crashes you should be presented with the proper BSOD. Please document the error and post back.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!