xp Media Center Edition fails to start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zorbahu

Yesterday I tried to start my HP Pavilion dv8309us laptop with XP Media Center Edition 2005 but it would not complete the start normally. I tried starting with Last Known Good Configuration and it got a bit further but then stopped again and went back to "We apologize for the inconvenience " page. I do not see any reset button on the bottom of the computer but I am not sure if such a thing would help or even possibly delete data from the hard drive.

Are there any steps one can recommend that I can do to get my computer running again without reinstalling the op Sys? How can I retrieve data on the hard drive without rebooting system. I have most of my files backed up but there are some emails, other recent files and firefox favorites/download info/files I need to get from the hard drive.

Thanks for your help.

blues_harp28

Hi, do you have the install Cd?
Try booting [starting] from the Xp install Cd. - when prompted press [R]
Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
When prompted for password.
Press Enter.
Type chkdsk /r
[note space after chkdsk]

When fininshed.
Type Exit
And press Enter.

The Bios needs to be set to boot [Start] from the Cd - it may already be set to do so.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Tapping the F10 key at start up - may take it back to factory settings but all files and data wil be lost.

How to use Linux live Cd to backup files from a dead Pc

Zorbahu

Thank you Blues Will investigate what you have provided The Ubuntu option looks interesting
Zorbahu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.