1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp Media Center Edition fails to start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zorbahu, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zorbahu

Zorbahu Thread Starter

Yesterday I tried to start my HP Pavilion dv8309us laptop with XP Media Center Edition 2005 but it would not complete the start normally. I tried starting with Last Known Good Configuration and it got a bit further but then stopped again and went back to "We apologize for the inconvenience " page. I do not see any reset button on the bottom of the computer but I am not sure if such a thing would help or even possibly delete data from the hard drive.

Are there any steps one can recommend that I can do to get my computer running again without reinstalling the op Sys? How can I retrieve data on the hard drive without rebooting system. I have most of my files backed up but there are some emails, other recent files and firefox favorites/download info/files I need to get from the hard drive.

Thanks for your help.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi, do you have the install Cd?
    Try booting [starting] from the Xp install Cd. - when prompted press [R]
    Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
    When prompted for password.
    Press Enter.
    Type chkdsk /r
    [note space after chkdsk]

When fininshed.
    Type Exit
    And press Enter.

The Bios needs to be set to boot [Start] from the Cd - it may already be set to do so.
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Tapping the F10 key at start up - may take it back to factory settings but all files and data wil be lost.

How to use Linux live Cd to backup files from a dead Pc

3. Zorbahu

Zorbahu Thread Starter

Thank you Blues Will investigate what you have provided The Ubuntu option looks interesting
    Zorbahu

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Ok - keep us updated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!