1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp media center install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Doublej1790, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doublej1790

Doublej1790 Thread Starter

When first installing my new Windows XP Media Center, it finished and started windows. I dont think everything got installed, the internet explore didn't work, there's no windows xp themes and the update or help doesn't work. Did it not install right or did I do something wrong??? Please Help!

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Ddi you have any problems along the way with the install. I am surprised actually it completed as you are using a chipset that is extremely fussy with ram, and a ram that is at best not a major brand and probably not compatible.

4. Doublej1790

yes i did have a problem with the installation and i just got it again while trying to reinstall it, before it was The Fatal Error Redundency Check , This time its says "Error performing inpage operation."

5. Doublej1790

are you saying i should maby get a different motherboard

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

No, you need to match your ram to that board. This board or any 965 chipset board is not a place to start throwing unmatched generic no name ram at.
    If you go to www.crucial.com, www.kingston.com or www.corsair.com, and oput in motherboard model #, then find out compatible ram models and buy them wherever you like, but buy the model numbers recommended. The other way to do that is go to Intel site and under motherboard you should find a listing of what Intel says is compatible by model, and there isn't much.

7. Doublej1790

thx, so do you think that the RAM is the problem.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's what I think. I have built these systems and these 965 chipset boards are extremely fussy.

9. Doublej1790

ok thanks alot I was about to kill myself over frustration

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

I know the feeling..

11. Doublej1790

ok i went to compusa and bought 2 GB(2x1gb) of PC2-5300 DDR2 memory. I reinstalled windows with it and it didn't change a thing. The internet explore still doesn't do anything (it doesn't even have a logo) when I click on Help and Support it says cannot find 'helpctr.exe'. I went around testing programs and some came up with " Party Mode because some Windows Media Player files may be missing or corrupted reinstall windows Media Player, and then try again. When it says click here to activate windows, I click on it and it goes away and doesn't do anything. When Installing I got a Fatal Error, Error Performing Inpage Operation. I tried it again and it worked after that.

12. techy689

techy689

Try inserting the disk, and using the Windows Repair tool

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Which Crucial, Kingston or Corsair compatible model number did you buy?

14. Doublej1790

I just got it to work the problem was that the installation asked for SP2 disk when it didn't come with one so you're suppose to use disk one which it didn't say. My computer works fine im using it to write this reply:) Right now Im just trying to get my sound to work the Intel Express Installer failed so I'm trying to get it from somewhere else. Thanks for your help!

15. Doublej1790

its says I need to "To avoid the "Installation Failed" error message, uncheck the USB 2.0 Patch and Driver before installing any items with Express Installer."

how do I do that???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice