XP Media Center re-install problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JohnDinColorado

I have dell demenision with Windows XP Media Rollout 2. I belive in the past I have updated SP3 to the machine. As the PC was getting slow after 4 years, yesterday I tried to re-install Windows while keeping the data and programs.

I made the mistakes of booting to the wrong cd. I used Windows XP Professional sp2 not the media center dvd. The install appeared to go fine until it asked for the authentication code. Which the cert code on the dell case did not work. At that point the install stopped and I could not reset. I powered off then on, and then booted to the correct Media Center dvd to continue the install.

During the 2nd install 2 errors poped up "ngen.exe entry point not fount" and ".NET Framework initialization error". Install continued. Never asked for Authentication code. Install appears to have never finished. Now it automatically reboots several times. Some time it get blue death screen and says "dumping physical memory".

Tried to reinstall a 3rd time and get same errors and process.

I have backed up all data and email to an external drive, but I do not want to do a clean in stall because of all the programs that are on the c drive.

The PC does boot into safe mode and safe mode with networking just fine. Thought I found a fix to re-install .NET 1.1 which I downloaded, but I cannot in either safe mode. Another thread said to edit the registry with cmd to allow for MSIService to install programs, but it didnt help. Still had popup showing installer could not open in safe mode. contact admin.

Any ideas to fix the install problem?

Is there a way to back up the programs on the external drive, do a clean install of xp, then re-install the programs on the c drive without the program cds? Is it possible to create another partition on th c drive which will run xp then leave the programs on the current partition?

Whenever you re-install Windows from scratch you always have to re-install your applications, there's no way around that.
You can optionally choose to have Windows save your settings and data when performing a repair install, but not if it's a complete fresh installation.

Noyb

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Jay
After you get the OS installed, updated, configured and all your programs installed ..
Image it for the next time ..
This will give you a way to install the system as you had it configured.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts