1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP minimum specs realistic?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tbird885, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tbird885

Tbird885 Thread Starter

I am thinking about giving an old Fujitsu lifebook B110 a new lease of life, I have it since new and although it's old I am quite attached to it.

It has a Pentium 233MMX processor, and 160MB ram.It currently runs Win98.

The hardware meets the minimum specs for XP, but seriously, would it be usable? Or would it be like watching paint dry? The most it would do is a little light web browsing and maybe some email.

Also, I wonder if XP home would be any less demanding than say, Pro?

I know I should just go ahead and give it a try but I can't do anything at the moment until I get an external CD drive, so I am just thinking ahead.

if it's not up to running XP; I might give Puppy Linux a try.

2. Lone_Dawg

Lone_Dawg

in my eXperience, i've managed to run winXP on a Tiny P3 with 64MB ram quite nicely. if you can configure XP not to run any service you don't need, you're good to go. but a default installation just isn't worth it on the specs you gave imho.

3. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Forget XP on that machine, it will run like a three legged dog with a limp.

4. Tbird885

Tbird885 Thread Starter

I might give it a go just for the hell of it..

My reason for change is lack of drivers for wireless adaptors under Windows 98 first edition. I would try SE if I had a copy. I do have a copy of ME but I have heard so many bad things about that OS, I think I'll give it a miss.

5. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

You don't mention the size of the HDD. Although XP involves only about 6 GB for its installation, the recommendation is to allow 12 GB for it to run well. As one Moderator observes, "It needs breathing room." I am running "XP Home" on another machine with a 14 GB HDD, less than the recommended minimum 512 MB RAM, and a slow processor that came with an original "Me" OS. It is very slow, but I attribute that to the processor.

{redoak}

6. Tbird885

Tbird885 Thread Starter

3.2GB:) I accept that it would need to be replaced but they are cheap enough these days.

This is more of a toy than a PC that will have to earn it's keep.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    With a laptop that old, the BIOS is likely going to be too old to recognize and run a new hard drive.

If you're lucky enough to get XP installed and working in that dinosaur, it's going to run like a snail dragging an anchor - even slower than a 3-legged dog with a limp.

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. Tbird885

Tbird885 Thread Starter

OK.. looks like XP is a non starter:) so it's back to plan B, WinME maybe with a few tweaks from 98lite

9. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

you have ME ? try it !
    i ran ME from 2000 to 2007 and it never faultered......it was quick and stable ona 700MHz cpu / 128Mb RAM. only discovered XP 2 years ago and now dual-boot ME with XP ona 2.6GHz /1Gb RAM........run my mid-end games (Rally, whatever) in ME. they run better in there than XP.

nothing wrong with ME :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/801278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice