XP mode on VHD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

larswebb

Hi everyone,

I have already created a VHD on windows 7 using disk management. Can I install XP mode on that or do I need to use the MS download for virtual PC.

Thanks,

Larry

fairnooks

Banned
You can just install XP from a disc on the VHD, you created the virtual partition yourself so you don't need any other virtual software.
XP Mode is designed to work along side the host without having its own partition. I can't wrap my head around installing a virtual OS on a virtual partition and have to go right now. Maybe someone else who's had their morning coffee knows if that will work.

larswebb

I'd rather use the XP mode if could SP3, instead of what I have SP1. It would save me a lot of updating. I only need XP for a couple of programs that won't run on W7 64bit.
Plus I have to do it on my work pc too.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Why did you manually create a VHD file instead of letting Windows XP Mode do its own thing? Why make it complicated?

larswebb

I downloaded and installed xp mode twice and both times it installed a few files that wouldn't do anything. There was a large file like 1.3 gig i can't remember the file type exactly but it was virtual disk file. I clicked on that and got some error message. Maybe I'll try again and post that message if I need to.

DoubleHelix

Banned
In order to help, we need to know what the problem is. What does "wouldn't do anything" mean? You couldn't install something? If you get errors, we need to know what they are.

Are you running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate?

larswebb

Here are the files that I downloaded and the error message. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Attachments

larswebb

Yes, I followed steps there. I got it to work on my work pc but not at home. Work is where I really needed it. I'll be satisfied with that.
Thank you,
Larry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online