1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Multiboot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pete DownUnder, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete DownUnder

Pete DownUnder Thread Starter

I was swayed by the dark side and decided to install XP on my multipartitioned disk. I have a partition with Win98 installed (with loads of the kids games etc) but cannot find how to get XP to multiboot.
    I've tried going into the Recovery Console and doing various bootcfg commands (e.g. /scan, /list) but this does not seem to recognise I have a Win98 partition set up.
    Anyone got any suggestions on how to set up boot.ini to allow me to boot to my Win98 partition?:confused:

2. brianF

brianF

I take it you installed winxp after the win98 partition was already there so xp should have seen the other os as long as you didn't install them to the same partition.
    I found this in another forum, worth a try

To fix it: Use the "fixboot" command in the recovery console. It will rewrite the BootSector.
    To get to the Recovery console: Boot off the WinXP CD, wait until it loads to the point where you are presented with the option to press "R" to enter Recovery Console. Dont be fooled by an early prompt to press F2 to enter some mode or other, just wait. It has to grind a bunch of files off the CD before it gets to the point where it prompts you to enter "R". Once you are in the recovery console (looks suspiciously like DOS) you can enter the "fixboot" command and your bootsector gets re-written.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice