1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP "My Computer" and "Explorer" taking ages to open

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by glimmerman, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glimmerman

glimmerman Thread Starter

Hi, I'm a new-commer and have been following this thread avidly and taking everyone's advice as I too have identicle problem to Chaz and other bloke i.e my PC (XP) is very slow, shows torch when you open "My Computer" for 15 secs, and when I use Explorer takes ages to find a web address so I'm using Firefox which is fine. Been bothering me for months, tried RWnewson's registry and didn't work. i don't have. Created shortcut direct to C drive to bypass "My Computer" delay however while this works, PC is becoming worse as when I move any files from one folder to another within the C drive the PC can;t cope and stops responding. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanc ed]
    "NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000001 anyway.
    My computer is not part of a home network nor does it say searching when I open My computer. This did all start when I installed software for new digital camera and webcam. Uninstalled cameras but still runs slow. Bugger.. Help. Tried registry cleaner and various virus killers. There is nothing threatening.
    Interestingly when I end process for sychost.exe everything works fine but then Windows closes down in 30 seconds. PLEASE HELP!!!!
    You all seem interested in Hyjack this report so here is mine
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
    Scan saved at 00:00:20, on 26/10/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CDANTSRV.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
    C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\DELL1\Application Data\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/iesearch/default.htm
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.wanadoo.co.uk
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer Provided By Wanadoo
    O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\DOCUME~1\DELL1\APPLIC~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
    O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\DOCUME~1\DELL1\APPLIC~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Wanadoo - {8B68564D-53FD-4293-B80C-993A9F3988EE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSBar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Documents and Settings\DELL1\Application Data\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Search with Wanadoo - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSBar.dll/VSearch.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\DOCUME~1\DELL1\APPLIC~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{727B3286-8BDC-4D92-A239-752F6C8F51AB}: NameServer = 195.92.195.95 195.92.195.94

2. Zman1764

Zman1764

assuming you ran spyware and adaware cleanups, i would suggest reinstalling windows..... Windows (every version) will eventually slow down and not respond, act very unstable, not cooperate, and eventually it will commit suicide and give you major blue screens. then the computer has problems booting... a reinstall (a fresh reinstall preferebly) would probably fix it.....

could you post your system specs? that may help a little bit...

3. Jag11

Jag11

What's your RAM's size? Maybe that's the cause.

Are you cleaning your TEMPorary files regularly? Maybe that will help you free up some space on your Hard Disk.

Before you plan to reinstall Windows, you could try this, and see if it speed up a little.

Download CleanUP from here:

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

After downloading install CleanUP!

When done, proceed below:

Copy these instructions because you can't have access to the internet while you're in Safe Mode.

See here on how to boot to safe mode:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2001052409420406?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

Now, once in safe mode:

• Open the shortcut of CleanUP! made on the desktop

• Click CleanUP! to start the cleaning process

• After it finishes close it

After CleanUP!, try defragging your disk.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

After defragging, boot back to normal mode, and see if it speeds up a little

4. glimmerman

glimmerman Thread Starter

Hi Jag11
    Thanks for your help. Tried all that Safe Mode and Cleaner but no joy. Everything still behaving the same. Guess I'll have to reinstall windows and lose everything on this PC :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!