1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[XP] My IP is screwed up and I can't access the internet.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spycaper51, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spycaper51

spycaper51 Thread Starter

All of a sudden then internet for the main computer in the house suddenly stopped responding, everything is plugged in, both the modem and the receiver are on, and I just can't access any form of internet, even the online games don't work.

It's like all of a sudden the ISP just let the service go, but for some odd reason, every other computer in the house works even though they are all connected to the main computer via LAN.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Shut down the modem/router and all computers. Wait 5 minutes. Turn the modem/router back on, then the computers one by one.

3. spycaper51

I need to find a way to reset my computer's IP through CMD, you see, I can't connect to the internet because I messing around with CMD and changed my IP to something copmletely random, and now I can't connect to the internet ever since that happened.

I'm pretty sure if I can get my IP back to it's original I cna connect to the internet again, but how do I find that out? is there a way to automatically reset your IP back to it's original?

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Try cmd
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

5. spycaper51

When I try either I get an error that says "Operation faield, the operation failed because there is no adapter in the state premissable".

6. frankjohn

frankjohn

You can enter your ip address by going to control panel, click on network connections ,local area, proterties, then scroll down to internet protcal & click on that & enter your address ect

7. spycaper51

I need to find a way to reset my computer's IP through CMD, you see, I can't connect to the internet because I messing around with CMD and changed my IP to something copmletely random, and now I can't connect to the internet ever since that happened.

I'm pretty sure if I can get my IP back to it's original I cna connect to the internet again, but how do I find that out? is there a way to automatically reset your IP back to it's original?

8. tmarvi

tmarvi

The command the refresh you ip under CMD is.

ipconfig /release

and then to renew.

ipconfig /renew

9. spycaper51

I get an error message that says "Operation failed as there is no adapter in the..."

Something like that.

10. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I've merged your threads. Please do not start multiple threads for the same problem. If you want your thread moved to a different forum use the report button.

11. spycaper51

i tried editing my IP adress using this method, I reversed it back to what I think it should be, but I still cant access the internet

12. ~Candy~

The IP address of the computer should reset on reboot, unless you changed it via the network settings to a fixed address.

Hardware geek huh? :eek:

13. ~Candy~

Great .................. people banging their heads asking the same questions and my post #2 completely ignored........... *sigh*

14. spycaper51

It should, but it's not.

P.S. Cmd is software. :p

P.S.S. Maybe i'm not straining this enough, I edited the IP via CMD

15. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Click here to download HJTInstall.exe
    • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    • Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    • Click on Install.
    • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/787047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice