1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Network Suddenly Slowed Way Down

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CluelessInSeattl, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CluelessInSeattl

CluelessInSeattl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Will
    I'm a an old disabled guy who uses a hand-me-down Dell Insprion 1150 laptop running Windows XP from bed (where I spend the better part of my days these days) connected via a Microsoft Windows Network to a couple of old hand-me-down PCs in the kitchen, one running Win 2K and the other running XP.

The network worked fine for a while, but then I started having problems with the PC running XP.

Now when I'm working from the laptop in bed, and click on an icon representing a drive or folder or file on the PC running XP, it takes 30 seconds or longer to make the connection. And all during that time the mouse pointer on the laptop has turned into that danged hourglass.

My connection to the PC running Win 2K works fine.

Also, at the same time this network slowdown with the XP PC started occurring, that same PC running XP starting stalling or freezing or hanging up on shutdown. So I'm wondering if these two problems are related.

I found a thread on this web site offering help with the shutdown stall:

Solved: Windows Xp Freezes at Shutdown & Restart?

And I'm going to start working my way through the maze of troubleshooting steps I found there.

In the meantime, I'll also be looking for some help trying to troubleshoot the slowed network connection.

I suppose the first thing I'll need to do is gather some specs on my system and post them here. I'm afraid I'm not very computer literate, and as I'm now disabled by chronic illness and aging, the amount of time and energy I can put in on a project like this is severely limited. My memory and comprehension skills are worsening, and I'm only able to spend about 30 minutes at a stretch at the computer anymore. :(

I'd be grateful if one of you reading this could post a list of the info I'll need to gather and post here so that readers of this forum can offer me some advice on where to start troubleshooting.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The following sounds complicated, but it's really not that bad to follow along ...

(from a JohnWill post)

Fix for slow network browsing, Stop Browsing Scheduled Tasks.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type regedit in the text box and click the OK button.

Once the Registry Editor has loaded, expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key.
    Next, expand Software and Microsoft, then Windows and expand that as well.

You will want to be editing the main system files, so expand CurrentVersion, then Explorer key.

Next, you will want to modify the remote computer settings, so expand the RemoteComputer key and then expand the NameSpace key to show all of the features that are enabled when you browse to a remote computer.

In the NameSpace folder you will find two entries. One is "{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}" which tells Explorer to show printers shared on the remote machine. The other, "{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}," tells Explorer to show remote scheduled tasks. This is the one that you should delete. This will prevent the system from browsing the scheduled tasks on the remote computer which seems to take forever for some strange reason.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice