1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Networking Icon Won't Appear

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LPrime, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LPrime

LPrime Thread Starter

Hi all. I've got a wireless DSL gateway, and I'm trying to set up a wireless adapter with Windows XP to use it, but I've hit a bit of a snag. According to the instructions, now that I've installed the drivers and the hardware, I need to click the XP Networking Icon in order to choose my settings, but here's the problem... there's no XP Networking Icon! I can't get it to appear. Ever. It's just not there where it should be in the system tray. If someone could please, please help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Start/control panel/Network and Internet Connections/Network Connections/Right click on your wireless device in there and pick properties. In there click to add a check to both the bottom 2 selections. Then it should show up in the systray where your looking.

3. LPrime

LPrime Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the speedy ready. Unfortunately, I'm still having a problem.

When I go to the Control Panel, there's no icon for "Network and Internet Connections." There is however the "Network Connections" icon, but when I open that, I just get an empty folder -- for some reason my wireless device isn't showing up in there even though my computer told me that it was successfully installed.

When I connect my modem / wireless gateway directly into the computer, then an icon that says "local area connection on linux IGD" is in my Network Connections folder (which in and of itself I find slightly baffling since I'm using Windows XP, not Linux). Unfortunately, for work, I'm not going to have direct access to my wireless gateway, hence the need for the wireless adapter.

So am I still stuck at square one? Any more thoughts and/or suggestions? Thank you again for your quick reply, but I could still really, really use some more help!

4. LPrime

LPrime Thread Starter

bump?

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Is the network connection made thru USB? if yes when installing the device did you follow the instructions to the letter and do the instructions tell you when to plug in the USB connector?

Actually a lot of people install the USB into an existing USB one and should purchase an USB 2 card and install it. Please re-read the installation instructions and re-install and you should be fine.

6. LPrime

LPrime Thread Starter

Yes, the network connection is made through the USB. I followed the instructions to the letter, including when to plug the wireless adapter into the USB port, but there was one part when my computer deviated slightly from what the instructions said it would do. After installing the drivers, restarting the computer, etc., it said that when I plugged in the wireless adapter that windows would launch a New Hardware Wizard, thus leading me to follow a couple of additional steps to complete the installation. Contrary to this, after I plugged the device in, I just got a little bubble down by the system tray (I say "bubble" because it's one of those little, yellow windows that looks like a speech bubble from comic books being spoken by the system tray) saying that new hardware had been dectected, and then after a few moments, that little bubble was replaced by a new one stating that the new hardware had been successfully installed.

The next step, according to the instructions, is to click on the XP Networking Icon in the system tray, but as I said before, the main problem I'm encountering is that there is no XP Networking Icon, and I can't get it to appear. Ever. I even tried uninstalling everything for the wireless adapter, and then reinstalling it, and I've tried using my 2nd USB port instead of the first one, but the results are always the same.

So, any idea what might be stopping the XP Networking Icon from appearing when starting up the computer? Again, thank you to the people who have already replied to this thread to offer help, but unfortunately I'm still stuck in this jam.

7. LPrime

LPrime Thread Starter

Alice the camel had two BUMPs.

By the way, when I go to the device manager, it says that my wireless adapter is "working properly," so I'm assuming that means that windows recognizes it, but for some reason is refusing to let it work. I've called the tech support for both the manufacturer of the device and the tech support for my ISP (just in case it was a problem with my wireless gateway), but neither of them seem to be able to figure out what is wrong, so I'm assuming it's a problem with windows.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

8. Lightwork

Lightwork

Did you ever get this solved? I am having the same problem, and cannot get anywhere near a solution. Thanks.

9. The Hound

The Hound

Lightwork--this is a very old thread...started by another. You should start a new thread with your hardware specs, O/S and service pack, and details of your problem including error messages, word for word if you can--we usually stick with one machine, one issue, one Original Poster to a thread to avoid confusion.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice